Any worse beer destination than Mexico?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Utah. They have a lot of beer, but not a drop over 3.2%.

But isn't there some kind of weird thing where in Utah, they measure/report alcohol content by weight instead of volume? So 3.2% alcohol by weight is actually pretty much the same as the 4.0% alcohol by volume that we're used to? Or something like that?

But isn't there some kind of weird thing where in Utah, they measure/report alcohol content by weight instead of volume? So 3.2% alcohol by weight is actually pretty much the same as the 4.0% alcohol by volume that we're used to? Or something like that?

You are correct. Here's the formula --> ABW = ABV * 0.79336.

So 3.2% ABW is equal to 4.0334% ABV. The problem is that any beer you're used to at home wil an ABV/ABW higher than that tastes off in Utah I assume because of the brewery altering its recipe/process/finished product before shipment to beehive state.

Can't you get higher alcohol beer from a liquor store and bar? Just not the grocery stores or something?

Not sure. I din't stick around long enough to find out. :mug:

Pulau Kappas, Malaysia (Cotton Island).

Boat pulled in early morning and I wanted a beer.

Carlsberg Elephant, $9.00USD. And it was warm because they had not fired the generators up yet.

This entire thread reeks of cultural insensitivity and beer snobbery, and in a few instances, straight racism. Beer standards aren't set by predominately white, Western European culture. The large majority of this thread has been advice to retreat to the relative safety of German or Belgian or American exports.

Craft beer already gets a snob label put on it, don't further the stereotype while also being culturally incompetent.

What a snob comment:off:

Being dragged to an all inclusive wedding in Cancun, and all I will have to wash down the ****ty food is terrible beer. :(

Tecate is OK. At least I preferred it to Sol or Corona.
Dos Equis Ambar is decent.
Bohemia is good if you like a German pils.
I think all of these will taste better in Mexico than the same beers shipped here to the US.

My experience at all-inclusives is that they like to serve your beer in smallish glasses that give you a nice warm beer by the time you get back to your pool deck lounge chair. Bring along your own insulated mug in case you find a beer you like there on site.

Malaysia is ****e. What few bars there are serve 2-3 watered down pilsners, johnnie walker, and cognac.

This entire thread reeks of cultural insensitivity and beer snobbery, and in a few instances, straight racism. Beer standards aren't set by predominately white, Western European culture.

Add teaching the developing world that "'Beer' = Crappy Pale Lager" to the long list of Western imperialism's crimes and move on.

Tecate is OK. At least I preferred it to Sol or Corona.
Dos Equis Ambar is decent.
Bohemia is good if you like a German pils.
I think all of these will taste better in Mexico than the same beers shipped here to the US.

My experience at all-inclusives is that they like to serve your beer in smallish glasses that give you a nice warm beer by the time you get back to your pool deck lounge chair. Bring along your own insulated mug in case you find a beer you like there on site.

I brought a Bubba Keg with me and had it topped off frequently. Worked well for cold drinks other than beer too.

My brother lived in Haiti for 5 years, basically limited to President beer which is terrible. He still goes to places like Mali and Burma, and I've been asking him to bring me some of those beers (though he says they are bad).

My experience drinking in Mexico is pretty much limited to cruise ship destinations like Cozumel and Costa Maya but I've found Guinness (usually bottles or cans) served in several restaurants in those ports. For the record and the umpteenth time in this thread, Negro Modelo is a pretty good vienna lager which is widely available.

Or just drink the local crap versions of BMC and then appreciate the good old USA beer selection even more when you return.

Any worse beer destination than Mexico?

Yes. Pretty much all of Asia.

Loved my time in Vietnam. Just consider beer as the healthier alternative to their water. And given that the average price was under $0.20 per can... It was great. Grab a sixer, toss them in the cooler compartment of my backpack, and walk around having a beer.

Best vacation ever.

Happy to report that Bangkok now has a beer revolution going on, found Stone, Deshutes, Rogue, plus an under ground brewer doing great APA's, IPA's, Stouts, and Porters. Not wide spread yet, but so totally better than when I was here 3 years ago.

Yes. Much worse and more scary than a Mexican Stabbing Establishment (Mexican Bar ::: they are all really stabby for unknown reasons) too!

Weekend at the tea-tottaling in laws...:(

Luckily, cough...cough... I am "sick" and have been excused...dotors note was REQUIRED...cough...cough...

Latest posts

Back