Any worse beer destination than Mexico?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Negra Modelo is better than you are giving it credit for. It's what I usually drink at the local Mexican restaurants. If only I could get them to leave the lime out of it.

This . Negra Modelo is a very good beer for the style. Also, Bohemia is not corn based, it's a very solid Czech Pils. Both IMO are as good a commercial beer as you can get.

most macro beer around the world is crap. my family are from the caribbean, puerto rico / dominican republic, crap beer in both places but they swear by it almost to the death, dominicans think presidente is the best beer in the world. it's not. barbados and trinidad both have crap beer, sugar is the first or second ingredient listed and all of the brands taste pretty much the same. costa rica is in the same crap beer category, i remember sucking down 50 cent heineken (brewed in costa rica) back in the early 80s and they were crap too. that's not to say i look down on those beers, i don't, plenty of my money has gone into the coffers of macro brewers. now that i brew my own beer i expect to be disappointed beer wise when i'm on vacation until such time as i get back home to my kegs.

At least in Mexico there is more than one brewery.

In Belize, you get Belikin. They make fours beers, and only the stout even reaches a level of adequacy.

Belize's .gov allows the import of six other beers: Guinness Foreign Extra, Heineken, Carib Lager, Red Stripe, Dragon Stout, and Dragon Stout Spitfire.

At least in Mexico there is more than one brewery.

In Belize, you get Belikin. They make fours beers, and only the stout even reaches a level of adequacy.

Belize's .gov allows the import of six other beers: Guinness Foreign Extra, Heineken, Carib Lager, Red Stripe, Dragon Stout, and Dragon Stout Spitfire.

I liked the regular Belikin... :confused:

I've traveled quite a bit in Central America and some South America and IME Mexico has some pretty solid beer...it has crap too. I start by asking for Victoria and if they don't have that move to Dos Equis and Negro Modelo, if all else fails it is Pacifico.

I go to Mexico every year. At a resort, you won't have too many choices other than the typical Corona, Tecate, Sol, Presidente, Modelo, Dos Equis or Pacifico. I gave up trying, even at the stores in town I couldn't find anything that appeals to the craft beer drinker in me. So...I just go with it. I'll take a Pacifico at the pool or a Negro Modelo on the beach anytime I can be in Mexico relaxing. I'll even take it with a lime in it after playing 18 holes. Damn...I wish I was in Mexico now...

People will probably disagree with me, but I had a tough time finding interesting beers in Italy last year. My local beer bar just did a "italy night" so I know they are there, but hell if I found anything other than Peroni or Moretti. I drank a lot of wine over those 2 weeks.

I'm surprised how many people are ignoring (or perhaps don't know about) Bohemia. It is a great beer IMO.

Victoria and Negra Modelo are pretty good too.

Also, I went to Haiti: holy crap you have it good in Mexico. Haiti had Presidente and Prestige, nothing else. Both are barely acceptable beers. On the beach on day we even drank Clarin, which is like cheap cheap cheap undistilled moonshine. Oh and the wine came in paper cartons like milk does in Europe.

When I was in Jamaica it was either Red Stripe or Carib.

I went with Wray & Nephew over proof rum drinks. After a few of those you don't really care what beer tastes like.

Sitting on a sunny beach barley having to lift a finger, life must really suck.

Have some mixed drinks and enjoy yourself, I love beer and will always choose it over other beverages but sometimes its nice to mix it up.

I stayed at the Beloved in Cancun for my honeymoon. I will hear no Cancun-bashing without response after that. The food was the far high end of "perfectly fine" to the low end of "awesome"... came without extra cost no matter how many plates I finished. The beer selection wasnt very good but when I would say "may I please have a scotch on ice" the cute as a button bartender would say "yes sir, would you prefer Johnny Walker Red or Johnny Walker Black"... the bottle of Red didnt get a lot of takers. Fun fact, the mini-fridge is fully stocked daily. I grew a love for "Cristal" brand seltzer water and later in the night rum and coke before bed.

I went to Jamaica last year and there were only 2 light lagers available... Red Stripe and another that was not very good. At least water was warm and the beer wasn't Bud Light.

I go to Mexico every year. At a resort, you won't have too many choices other than the typical Corona, Tecate, Sol, Presidente, Modelo, Dos Equis or Pacifico. I gave up trying, even at the stores in town I couldn't find anything that appeals to the craft beer drinker in me. So...I just go with it. I'll take a Pacifico at the pool or a Negro Modelo on the beach anytime I can be in Mexico relaxing. I'll even take it with a lime in it after playing 18 holes. Damn...I wish I was in Mexico now...

People will probably disagree with me, but I had a tough time finding interesting beers in Italy last year. My local beer bar just did a "italy night" so I know they are there, but hell if I found anything other than Peroni or Moretti. I drank a lot of wine over those 2 weeks.

I lived in Italy for two years. I was able to find just about any German or Belgian beer. Plus we had a brew pub/restaurant B-feds, had an awesome red ale. Not much Italian selection except morreti.

+1 for Negra Modelo, my go to beer at Mexican restaurants.

Just for back from Guatemala in March. Only beer widely available was Gallo. Crap!

Jesus! What a bunch of beer-snobs. I haven't seen this many panties wadded since the last time someone said they liked BMC. If it's so bad, don't drink it, and stop whining. :D

i hear you but it's not beer snobbery, it really is that bad. i think i'd rather drink a bud or coors rather than a presidente or banks (dominican republic and barbados) those beers are truly horrible. but yeah, we're whining a little bit :D

I lived in Italy for two years. I was able to find just about any German or Belgian beer. Plus we had a brew pub/restaurant B-feds, had an awesome red ale. Not much Italian selection except morreti.

+1 for Negra Modelo, my go to beer at Mexican restaurants.
No Peroni in Italy?

The beer in Playa Del Carmen all taste like water that gets you mildly drunk, makes you have to piss a lot, and needs to be drunk fast so it doesn't get warm. Even with a Lime it isn't very good. I was ok with Tecate and Sol, but not impressed by any means.

Personally its all Mai Tai's, Tequila Sunrise, full glass of Baileys on Ice or some congnac/Scotch from the one place that has ok stuff on the resort. Beer is afternoon beer water.

Jesus! What a bunch of beer-snobs. I haven't seen this many panties wadded since the last time someone said they liked BMC. If it's so bad, don't drink it, and stop whining. :D

No...just care about the taste of my beer. And your right, when I travel I don't drink their beer, most of it tastes like watered down Bud light.

Our craft beer exports are skyrocketing. Maybe you will find some local brews while on your travels.

Our craft beer exports are skyrocketing. Maybe you will find some local brews while on your travels.

i was vacationing in vieques puerto rico and there was a bar offering craft beer in bottles, about $5 a bottle but it was the only place i found on that tiny island serving good beer at any price.

I agree with those who mentioned Bohemia.

My advice would be to skip the wedding and get as far from Cancun as you can. As soon as my plane lands there I can think of nothing else but how I'm getting somewhere else.

Cancun caters to enough tourists that I bet you can find craft beers if you look for them. Google turned up http://thebeerbox.com/

If you're looking for craft beer in Latin America, I've heard that Patagonia has a growing scene bolstered by Expat hippies and strong European ties. - Would love to go there someday!

I'll second Bohemia, Indio, and Negra Modelo. All welcome alternatives to Corona and Dos Equis (which I will drink when the time is right). I love a hoppy beer, but not when the ambient temperature is nearly 5 million degrees.

As far as the worst destination, I'd say Ecuador is pretty bad. Pilsener is nearly the only choice you have and quality is all over the place I imagine, because of spotty refrigeration integrity.

My advice while in Ecuador is to stick to Pilsener, because unless you can find Club, everything else is terrible. Ecuador is the only place I ever poured a beer out because I couldn't finish it. Of course, it may have been my fault for buying a Czech porter...

You can't judge Mexico's beer by Corona. I'll admit I haven't read through this whole thing but I happen to enjoy Mexico and some of their beers. Try Victoria, Negra Modelo, Leon, Indio, Noche Buena and even Dos Equis Amber is quite good, in my opinion. I assume you guys know that the Mexican brewing infrastructure was put together by Germans and Austrians and the beers took shape over the course of time and ended up hopped lower so that it matched better with the local cuisine. As far as food goes, if you think that the food in Mexico is ****ty, I suggest you keep looking. My wife and I have been to Europe, The Caribbean and all over the US and in our 4 or 5 trips to Mexico, we agreed that the people in Mexico know how to cook. You might just be eating in the wrong places or basing your opinion on Mexican food prepared in the US... which can be spotty. There's a "Mexican Beer Page" on my site with some other information about Mexican beer. Salud.

Bohemia Obscura (Vienna lager) has become my go-to beer when diving in Cozumel.

I just returned from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico on Saturday. For the most part, I drank Dos Equis amber or various tequilla-based blended concoctions in the hot, hot sun.

Of all the various light lagers and vienna lagers I found around town, I have to declare Victoria the winner. Good light beer. The biggest loser - Tecate Light. Water with sub 4% alcohol, at least in PV.

I also want to give a BIGGGGG shoutout to Los Muertos Brewing in downtown Puerto Vallarta. They gave me the craft beer fix I needed, and actually served me one of the better ambers I have ever tasted. Four beers brewed on premesis and a free fooseball table (and chess/backgammon on the tables) made for a great two hours. The awesome Agave Maria Amber I had (well, the four that I had) also came at the very reasonable price of 30 pesos, about $2.40 each. I liked it all so much, I bought the T-Shirt!

Check it out if you are every in the area!

I feel ya Xprtskier.

Last summer the family took a trip to the Dominican on the in-laws dime. I'll never complain about that, but when it comes to beer, Presidente (an acceptable light lager in my mind, though far from my favorite style) was the best the resort had to offer and you had to special order it. By the time I got home I was in serious lupulin withdrawal and devoured every double IPA I had in the fridge.

HAHA, I was there. Every place had Presidente cases that kept it iced cold. I drank so many of those and when I got back I remember reading about there proprietary antifreeze mixture used to make is able to withstand sub z temps eliminating space for competitors at the bars. Brugal for the win in the DR. As for crappy beer trip. I say China. Our options were a small coke or beer with every meal. The beer was always bigger than the coke but damn they were pretty bad. We ended up at one restaurant that was selling big glasses by the yuan and our whole group started buying them since it was like $0.25-0.50 per 500mL and that stuff was not only tasty but had some kick to it. They were tapping it off a keg and it was probably around 60F and tasted great. In the yangtze river area I stopped at a market and saw a picture of the Duke himself pulling a "buddy christ" wink with a thumbs up on what appeared to be a tallboy 4-pack of Pabst. He was in the middle of the blue ribbon and it was called Blue Cow Pie Beer. Over 10% and it was so bad. Made Steel reserve sound good kind of bad. I still have the plastic bag/4-pack carry with John Wayne on it but aside from the memento, avoid the Cow Pie and don't go to China for beer.

Latest posts

Back