Another noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a session IPA tomorrow from an extract kit. This kit calls for a ten minute hopstand with two ounces of hops added at flameout and delaying cooling the wort for ten minutes. My question is, would there be any benefit by "whirlpooling" the wort with a spoon for the ten minutes of the hopstand over just letting it sit there?

TIA for the input

Lon

I would give it a good hard stir to get the wort moving in a "whirlpool" once you add the hops, pull the spoon out and let it sit the 10 min. I wouldn't stir it any more than that. That's how I've handled it in the past.

I do hopstands with the kettle covered - hoping this will prevent some evaporation loss of hop oils. I don't really know if it helps or not - just a thought for your consideration.

I have also seen it recommended to get wort to 160-180 before whirlpooling, especially with these highly hopped styles. Get the flavor but not so much the bitterness.

Yeah, that's what most people doing their own thing do. These kits, though, try and simplify things and make it easy to do. It's easier to throw them in at flameout than it is to chill, then throw them in.

Back