Anchor Brewing Co. Liberty Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leechmielewski

Reaction score
I spent a ton of time doing research on this clone. I hope it turns out good.

5 gallon batch

10 lbs 2 row pale malt
.5 lbs Crystal 15l
1oz N. Brewer Hops 90 min
1.5 oz Cascade Hops 45min
1 oz Cascade Hops 30 min
1 oz Cascade Hops 1 min
2 oz Cascade Dry Hop 1 week
1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 20 min
1056 American Ale Yeast

Mash grains in 13.3 qts water for 60 min @ 150 degrees F. Strike temp 167 degrees F. Sparge with 3 gal water @. 170 degrees F. 90 min boil utilizing hop additions as per recipe and Whilfloc at 20 min. Chill to 70 degrees F. And add water to make 5.5 Gal and pitch yeast. My Original gravity was 1.053. Will update as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That looks good! I enjoy a Liberty Ale occasionally, thanks for sharing, let us know how it turns out!

I've moved this from the Recipe Database (which is for tried and true recipes) to the Recipes and Ingredients subforum.

I could be wrong but I thought Liberty Ale only used 2 Row Malt and Cascade hops.

Again, I may be wrong on this.

I could be wrong but I thought Liberty Ale only used 2 Row Malt and Cascade hops.

Again, I may be wrong on this.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a smash recipe. I'd leave out the crystal malt, but doubt that the choice of bittering hops would matter that much. Can't you get the anchor ale yeast as well? I think it's cal ale II, or something like that.

Bringing this one back to life! How does this recipe sound?
All Grain 5 Gallon Batch
13 lbs of 2-row
Cascade .75 @ 60 min
Cascade .75 @ 45 min
Whirlfloc @ 15 min
Cascade 1.0 @ 0 min
Cascade 1.0 @ + 3 Days

Yeast - Wyeast 1272

That looks right if your efficiency is only about 65%. If more efficient then reduce base malt down to 11 or 12 lb. OG should be around 1.058-1.060, something like that.

EDIT: Wait a minute... you should also double all the hops. Not enough IBUs.

Last edited:
That looks right if your efficiency is only about 65%. If more efficient then reduce base malt down to 11 or 12 lb. OG should be around 1.058-1.060, something like that.

EDIT: Wait a minute... you should also double all the hops. Not enough IBUs.

Yep I didn’t catch that. 11 lbs is perfect, only thing I see is Anchors website state 47 IBU, I upped my 60 min addition to 1 oz. according to brewersfriend that should put me right around that target.

That looks really good and may be one of my next 3 brews. Love Liberty ale and like clone recipes a lot. I will need to get 1272 for it, though.

Back