American Wheat with Orange Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonas Lapienis

Reaction score
Hi All.

I'm thinking on brewing my first batch of an american wheat and i wanted to add orange juice to the end of the primary fermentation. Any thoughts on that?

Tks

With the orange flavor comes citric acid which is going to drop the ph of the beer and many find the flavor of fermented orange juice to be vomit-like. Are you just trying to get some orange flavor in there? If so, add orange peel after the boil or after fermentation. Nice orange flavor with none of the acid addition.

Nice to know. Thank you!

Will any fruit juice taste like this? I ask that because i think i don't have enough space in my fermentor to add the chopped fruit in a bag.

I have made fruit beers using a Hefeweizen grain/hop bill per Eric Warner's book, with sour pie cherries, with raspberries, and with peaches, added to secondary. All were quite good.

I heard someone tell about a visit to Eddie McStiff's in Moab one time. They asked for a pint of one of the fruit beers on tap, maybe blueberry, and were told that they were out. A few minutes later, a server told them it was now available. It took about as long as it might to inject some extract into a keg of the base beer.

Back