All you want to know about yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45_70sharps

Reaction score
Where is a really good source of information on yeast?
There is a lot to know about what they like, what stresses them, what the results of stressing them are.

I would like to understand them a lot better.

Well, for starters, there is a whole section right here on HBT. Most books on homebrewing have sections on yeast that are informative. MrMalty.com has a very useful yeast pitching rate calculator.

Iwas looking for more than a pitch rate.
I understand the most basic stuff. I figure that if I know more about what makes yeast happy, what stresses them, what the effects of the stress are and everything else are on the yeast it can help me take the brewing to the next level.

I will do more searching on this forum.
When I was looking and posted the question, I was on my phone. The mobile version of the web site isn't as easy to search that stuff on.

45_70sharps said:
... The mobile version of the web site isn't as easy to search that stuff on.
the only effective way to search is with an iPad, amazingly. Lots of search options, unlike the ridiculous web interface.

The book Yeast is a good start. Funny thing about this topic is that there's lots of info about yeast attenuation, growth rates, oxygen levels, lag times, etc. but virtually no info on what actually makes the beer taste better. Take for example the oft-used pitching rate calculators. We use them because some unknown experts somewhere say its ideal, but we know nothing about the impact on flavor from deviating from the equation. So learn what you can, and accept that it's still an immature science (at least to us home brewers) but follow the best practices as laid out in Yeast until we know better.

Thanks guys! This is what I was looking for.
I know that you can brew good beer, even with your own recipe by following other recipes as examples but I want to know more.
Knowledge is king!
It's hard to do meaningful experiments with yeast if you don't have any base knowledge. It's also hard to know what went right or wrong without an understanding.
I can tell from a quick scan of the link diS sent me that I am going to get a good start there. I will also order the book and see if I can wrap my head around what these little guys world is a little better after all of that.

Yep. The Maltose Falcons link has already given me a lot of insight and ideas.
I will follow up with C. White's book.

Thanks!

Back