Airlock stopped after 2 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDRJ

Reaction score
I am brewing a high gravity Octoberfest style beer on Wednesday. Acording to my hydrometer it was 1.070.

I pictched the yeast around 24C and after about 12 or so hours the airlock was going and sitting around 22C.

I should mention I am using US-04 and started it by rehydrating it before pitching.

Yesterday night I go to check on it and the airlock is going nuts the temp has risen to 26C, even though its in my cold basement.

This morning I got to check on it and the airlock has stopped moving and the temperature is falling back down.

Never had a beer do this before so would just love some input on it.

Could the rise in temperature have caused the yeast to quickly ferment?
I am also fermenting in a bucket, which I did for ease of clean up so I am not able to see whats going on inside.

I should also mention that I do know that the airlock is no indication of fermenting.

I am more or less asking if anyone else has had the same experience.

The times I have used S-04 it cranks up in a hurry and gets most of the fermentation done in 3-4 day, but let it sit at least another week before taking a hydrometer reading. Good luck on the Oktoberfest!

At 26C, or 78.8F is a bit high by some 10 degrees for normal primary temp. So it could've gotten past initial fermentation in that short amount of time. But it'll still slowly, uneventfully ferment down to a stable FG. Let it ride till a total of two weeks has gone by to do a hydrometer test. then on the third day hence, test it again. If the numbers match, it's done. If not, let it ride some more.

I've seen warm fermentations ferment out overnight.

Yeast LOVE warm temperatures and will sometimes create even more heat from the process of fermentation, which makes it hotter, and it can get explosive.

Unfortunately, S04 has the tendency to create some really weird off-flavors if fermented above 19C, and you were way above that. Hopefully the beer doesn't show that characteristic too badly, but next time you use S04, try your best to keep it at 16-19C during fermentation.

S04 is a voracious yeast, and at temperatures of 64 degrees liquid (wort) temperature, it still finishes 1.055-1.060 OG beers in about 2-3 days.
If the temperature was 26C on the surface of the fermenter, it may have been as hot as 31c inside the fermenter as yeast create their own heat when fermenting.
S04 is notorious for getting out of control (too hot) if the temp is not controlled, which leads it to create some unwanted off-flavors.

If something tastes off in your beer don't fret, as it more than likely fermented too high.

Look into a building a fermentation chamber, or using other tricks such as a water bath and frozed water bottles.

Thanks for all the feedback.

My basement is at 20C and cooler in the evening, so to see it at 26 I was shocked.

Having never used that yeast before I did not know what to expect. I just used what they gave me at the LHBS.

Live n learn :)

Thanks for all the feedback.

My basement is at 20C and cooler in the evening, so to see it at 26 I was shocked.

Having never used that yeast before I did not know what to expect. I just used what they gave me at the LHBS.

Live n learn :)

Even 20C is generally too warm for most ale yeast strains. Many of us use a cooler or other bin with a water bath, and toss in a few frozen water bottles or ice packs as needed (changing them out every day or so), to keep the temperature more like 16C. Another tip- cool the wort more before adding your yeast as it's easier to keep it cool before fermentation begins. Cool the wort to 15 or 16C in the ice bath, and THEN add the ice. Adding the yeast at 24C really compounded the problem.

Back