Aging Recommendation for 8% Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLikesBeer

Reaction score
My Saison is bottled and just finished it's third week of carbonating. Nothing went wrong on brew day and it went all the way down to 1.003 or so during fermentation. Most of my other brews have been in the 5% range and were pretty drinkable after a few weeks in the bottle. For this style and it's ABV what would you recommend in terms of aging? Right now it has overpowering saison funk and something I can't put my finger on... drinkable but it seems to need some rest.

My guess would be 6-8 weeks without seeing the recipe but that's when my bigger beers seem to shine, except the hoppy IpAs which i like fresh

From the BJCP style guide for Saisons. "A seasonal summer style produced in Wallonia, the French-speaking part of Belgium. Originally brewed at the end of the cool season to last through the warmer months before refrigeration was common. It had to be sturdy enough to last for months but not too strong to be quenching and refreshing in the summer."

I personally like my saisons funky and spicy. Rest a week and taste. Repeat until you like it. I bet it comes around quickly as these are not meant to be aging beers.

SteveLikesBeer said:
My Saison is bottled and just finished it's third week of carbonating. Nothing went wrong on brew day and it went all the way down to 1.003 or so during fermentation. Most of my other brews have been in the 5% range and were pretty drinkable after a few weeks in the bottle. For this style and it's ABV what would you recommend in terms of aging? Right now it has overpowering saison funk and something I can't put my finger on... drinkable but it seems to need some rest.

I'll start serving mine after a month in the bottle but there's nothing wrong with letting them age a bit. I try to hold onto some for aging too; it's pretty cool to see how they change over time. Right now I have two that are over a year old, one with brett and the other without. I have another dark saison also fermented with brett. It's about six months old and is just coming into its own. If you don't like it right now, try opening a bottle once a month or so.

Thanks guys. I'll run with trying one every few weeks to see when it settles down since a month is just around the corner.

Back