Adding things to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bus06

Reaction score
I am currently doing extract brewing. I've brewed about 15 recipe kits so far in the short time that I have been brewing. I would like to try some different things with some different beers. Like to add 1 pound of pecans to a brown ale 20 minutes before the end of a 60 minute boil. Or add coriander and orange peel to an American Wheat or even some cherry puree. Also thinking of doing something with the other beers, but these are just some ideas that I have had. Do ya'll have any ideas or recommendations that I could do that would make my ideas even better? My friend added pecans to one of his recipes and the ABV went through the roof it also did not taste too good. But of course we still drank it.

I don't see why pecans would affect the alcohol that much.

Adding fruit is good.

Zest an orange or a lemon. Or both. Add at flameout.

Dry hop. Or just increase the hops.

Add

So Eric, add more hops if I add fruit or pecans, or any kind of nuts for that matter? What's the reason, just curious. And thank you for the tips. And I don't know if it was the pecans or something else that he added, I wasn't there for the brewing. But three of those beers knocked me on my but and I am a seasoned veteran from Wisconsin who has also spent 3+ years in Germany. LMAO

So Eric, add more hops if I add fruit or pecans, or any kind of nuts for that matter? What's the reason, just curious. And thank you for the tips. And I don't know if it was the pecans or something else that he added, I wasn't there for the brewing. But three of those beers knocked me on my but and I am a seasoned veteran from Wisconsin who has also spent 3+ years in Germany. LMAO

Sorry - I just saw this! I was just listing some ideas of how to change/improve the beers. Dry hopping or increasing the hops will change it, maybe in a way you like.

And actually, if you add fruit or nuts, then I would probably decrease the later hops. A lot of what fruit contributes is aroma, so if you keep the hop aroma low, you get more of the fruit. That's also true with yeasts that give off esters, so you want to let them shine more than hops.

Example, with a Belgian style yeast for a farmhouse or saison style, I might do hops at 60 and 30 minutes or 60 and 15, but at the end, add fruit or spices. I've done orange peel/zest, coriander, and lemongrass at flameout and it is great. The yeast is fruity and the fruit and spice is, too.

If you do an American wheat with US-05, then add orange and coriander at flame out or 5 minutes, you'll get the smell and it will be really good. No need to increase the hops there.

But if you just want more hops, then make an American wheat with US-05 and ferment it, then add dry hops for 5 days before bottling. Use some kind of interesting hop (not Cascade, which is kind of "normal" at this point). Citra, Amarillo, or Centennial would be good dry hops in a light beer. I've used Meridian and El Dorado for dry hops and they are interesting.

OR dry hop it with Cascade, BECAUSE it's normal!

Literally add almost anything at flame out and it will be interesting. Hops, fruit, spices, nuts, a hot dog, whatever.

Thank you very much. I will keep this mind and be posting what I do.

There is alot you can do with extract kits and additive.

Currently I am dunking around with Coopers kits I get from the grocery store for 15$.

Done a strawberry blonde with lactose (an attempt at cheapo "The Last Strawberry" clone) that I added just a smidge too much lactose too but turned out great.

Currently got a raspberry lemonade blonde fermenting right now as well (coolers blond, .75 kg sugar. Ferment for 3 days and add a bottle of simply raspberry lemonade). Took a sample of this one and it is currently rather great, but am wanting a slightly stronger rasberry nose and flavour (the juice is primarily lemonade so makes sense) so I am adding 1lb of frozen rasberry tonight.

Other plans include a blueberry ale, pumpkin spice ale, chocolate rasberry milk stout and a few others.

Basically any juice/spice/flavouring you want to add to a beer you can cheaply add to an extract kit.

Even brewing kits, you can get a lot of ideas, and an understanding of recipe creation by reading Randy Mosher's book Radical Brewing. It will help give you an idea about how to handle various ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is alot you can do with extract kits and additive.

Currently I am dunking around with Coopers kits I get from the grocery store for 15$.

Done a strawberry blonde with lactose (an attempt at cheapo "The Last Strawberry" clone) that I added just a smidge too much lactose too but turned out great.

Currently got a raspberry lemonade blonde fermenting right now as well (coolers blond, .75 kg sugar. Ferment for 3 days and add a bottle of simply raspberry lemonade). Took a sample of this one and it is currently rather great, but am wanting a slightly stronger rasberry nose and flavour (the juice is primarily lemonade so makes sense) so I am adding 1lb of frozen rasberry tonight.

Other plans include a blueberry ale, pumpkin spice ale, chocolate rasberry milk stout and a few others.

Basically any juice/spice/flavouring you want to add to a beer you can cheaply add to an extract kit.

That is outstanding. And $15 for a kit? That would be amazing, too bad I don't have grocery stores that sell kits where I live.

It's essentially a half kit. Primarily pre hopped LME and a yeast (which I don't use) that you were originally supposed to add 1kg dextrose too (though this gives it a thin taste and texture sometimes).

They sell a relatively new product to go with it to use instead of dextrose but I am pretty sure it's just cheap DME mixed with dextrose (could be wrong).

Personally I just use the a portion of the dextrose and have the additives help with fixes the body/mouthfeel issue and top up the missing sugar.

As for your local stores not having it, where abouts do you live and what grocery stores do you have? Some have their beer/wine kits hidden with kitchen gadgets and supplies while others have it with their canning/jam making supplies.

It's essentially a half kit. Primarily pre hopped LME and a yeast (which I don't use) that you were originally supposed to add 1kg dextrose too (though this gives it a thin taste and texture sometimes).

They sell a relatively new product to go with it to use instead of dextrose but I am pretty sure it's just cheap DME mixed with dextrose (could be wrong).

Personally I just use the a portion of the dextrose and have the additives help with fixes the body/mouthfeel issue and top up the missing sugar.

As for your local stores not having it, where abouts do you live and what grocery stores do you have? Some have their beer/wine kits hidden with kitchen gadgets and supplies while others have it with their canning/jam making supplies.[/QUOTE
I live in Richmond, Virginia we have Krogers, Food Lions, and some Martins.

Back