Adding maltiness to a gf brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murika

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any ingredients, processes, tricks and such to try an add a malty flavor to a gluten free beer?

Not into brewing GF, but I came across this thread and it looks interesting at least. They use chestnuts.

The specialty rice malts from Eckert are exelent, you can use them in a partial mash (with suplamental enzymes) if you are not set up to do all grain (yet).

D-45 candi syrup can lend a toasted marshmellow character that I like in pale ales, IPA, and amber ales. I dont care for the darker candi syrups, but I love the D-45 flavor.

The specialty rice malts from Eckert are exelent, you can use them in a partial mash (with suplamental enzymes) if you are not set up to do all grain (yet).

D-45 candi syrup can lend a toasted marshmellow character that I like in pale ales, IPA, and amber ales. I dont care for the darker candi syrups, but I love the D-45 flavor.

I don't know if marshmellow is quite what I'm going for, but I am interested in trying it in an IPA anyway.

We're still beginners, so we haven't gone to a mash yet, but we want some kind of light malty flavor so it tastes more like beer and has more complexity than simply what's offered by sorghum syrup and hops.

I was thinking steeping some kind of roasted grains such as oats or malted buckwheat in heated water on the stove and adding alpha amylase to the pot so that the starches break down.

Another idea was caramelizing a small amount of maltodextrin and adding it late in the boil.

Not sure if any of that is a good or bad idea.

Steeping grains with amylase on the stove is a mini mash...You can do this with some of the GF specialty malts, it will offer lots of flavor and style options.

Try steeping 2 lbs (finly milled) of one of the Eckert specialty malts (crystal, amber, James Brown...etc) with some amylase for 60 to 90 minutes. This should add what you are looking for.

Back