Adding fermentable sugar post ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg073185

Reaction score
My OG was a little low for the specs on the kit I made (Kolsch) at 1.040. My FG is in the proper range at 1.010 but this only gives me an ABV of 3.9x%

Home brew store guy suggested adding more sugar (or honey) so I have a few questions

1. How much honey to water ratio to dilute and does it have to boil?

2. Does it have to cool before adding to the fermenter?

Looking to do this ASAP so please help! My fermenter is right at the 5 gal mark if that helps.

Thanks

Yes it has to cool to close to your fermentation temp. Ideally it should be at your ferment temp but a few degrees above won't be a problem since the growth phase is over anyway. Also, you are adding a small amount of honey water to 5 gallons so it's not going to do much if the temp is reasonably close.

Not sure about the amount of honey but when I add dextrose to the ferment I think I add a pint per half pound. Can't remember exactly and my notes are at home. You might be able to get away with the same ratio. Hopefully someone with experience with honey can chime in.

Was this an extract batch, and did you top off with water before taking your measurement? It's nearly impossible to miss your OG on an extract batch if your volumes are correct, which it sounds like they are. It's exceedingly common, on the other hand, to get a false reading after topping off with water due to the difficulty getting it mixed properly. If this was extract I wouldn't go trying to fix it.

I've never done it, but as I understand it honey has natural anti-microbial properties and doesn't required a boil. I've also heard that boiling will change the flavor.

Shred said:
I've never done it, but as I understand it honey has natural anti-microbial properties and doesn't required a boil. I've also heard that boiling will change the flavor.

I forgot... Most store bought honey is pasteurized. Anyway I don't know jack about honey lol.

Boiling will set some of the "stuff" in honey and will change the flavor of it a bit. But you are using it as extra fermentables so it shouldn't matter. As to the anti microbial properties any concentrated sugar solution will naturally be anti microbial as the osmotic pressure is too much for the cells to handle. FYI. I quite often use honey to give an extra kick I mix water and honey 3 to 1 and just bring it to 180 and let it sit. When it gets to 140 I crash chill and pitch it.

Back