adding brown sugar to apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronBurrSociety

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and would like to start by saying that I am NOT Aaron Burr Cider, whose ciders I enjoy and admire.

I want to know approximately how much brown sugar I can add to 1 gallon of apple cider. I want to maximize the alcohol content without making it too sweet.

Adding sugar at the beginning will only drive up the alcohol. The max. I've done is one pound per gallon. I now make no added sugar cider. Tastes so much better IMO.

Like Mark said it will only up your alcohol content, not add sweetness at least until the yeast hits max attenuation. When I first started making cider I only used brown sugar in all of my ciders and they never came out the way I wanted them to. Although it does give it a nice amber color.

The molasses is most likely the culprit. After switching from brown sugar, I now also dislike the use of succrose in general. I would highly recommend using fructose from your LHBS.

I'm new to the forum and would like to start by saying that I am NOT Aaron Burr Cider, whose ciders I enjoy and admire.

I want to know approximately how much brown sugar I can add to 1 gallon of apple cider. I want to maximize the alcohol content without making it too sweet.

Add just about as much as you want. You won't get it sweet, as the sugars are almost 100% fermentable.

Back