Adding a Peppermint Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweenbeen

Reaction score
For this Christmas I want to brew a hot chocolate stout. So when I think of a hot chocolate I think of chocolate, peppermint, and milky flavors. I am going to base it off of a milk stout and add some additional chocolate malts.

My question is does any one have any experience adding a peppermint flavor? And if so what methods would you suggest? Liquor additives? Or peppermint leaves? And then along with that... quantity?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

I've made a mint beer by making a bunch of strong mint tea and using that to top off the wort. The result wasn't candy-caney at all, much more herbal. Unless you're looking for that I'd recommend extract or essential oil.

(don't boil the oil, it'll vaporize.)

ABrewingApe said:
I've made a mint beer by making a bunch of strong mint tea and using that to top off the wort. The result wasn't candy-caney at all, much more herbal. Unless you're looking for that I'd recommend extract or essential oil.

(don't boil the oil, it'll vaporize.)

Ya its a post boil thing. More for just before pitching. And I will have to look at extract. My fear is that it will give it a fake flavor. I made a ginger pils a bit ago and used the liquor and I feel like if I used ginger root it would have given it more of a "real" flavor... IMO

An extract will probably have a blend of peppermints and some vanilla in it. Likely nothing that will get in your way.

You don't always want a real flavor, sometimes you just want the best parts of the real flavor. :D I'd take commercial ginger flavoring over ginger essential oil any day--I work with the oil, and it's vile. Like gingery feet. You don't want to make foot beer, do you?

you kinda want the "fake" pepperment, i think. it would be more like the candy peppermint, or what would be in hot chocolate. i don't think you'd want the leafy herby flavor. i would go with the extract.

My Nephew who was the vinter of one of the homebrew/winemaking clubs in town used to make amazing peppermint schnapps melting down peppermient candies in a little water in a double boiler and adding it to liquor base. He did a lot of schnapps using hard candies mostly jolly ranchers, and they were all excellent.

The peppermint schnapps were awesome.

Someone else asked recently the same I suggested he determine the sugar content of the hard candied he was looking at using and then using information I give in the thread below, use it as your priming solution instead of your normal sugar.

Scroll to the lower half of this post.

ABrewingApe said:
An extract will probably have a blend of peppermints and some vanilla in it. Likely nothing that will get in your way.

You don't always want a real flavor, sometimes you just want the best parts of the real flavor. :D I'd take commercial ginger flavoring over ginger essential oil any day--I work with the oil, and it's vile. Like gingery feet. You don't want to make foot beer, do you?

Haha I see what you're saying. And no I do not want foot beer ;-) although come to think about it it maybe you can get more than drunk off of foot beer :-D

JasonToews said:
I've used fresh mint leaves in the 2ndary with great results! I guess its your prefrence.

How much? And for the entire duration of the fermentation?

Back