Add dried apricot to cider in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choosybeggar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How does this sound? 3 lbs of Trader Joe's dried apricots (chopped up) to 6 gallons of Apfelwein after primary fermentation is finished. Rack after one week to keg and carbonate.

-J

In order to get more flavor out of the fruit; I would add pectin enzyme, at the time of addition of the fruit. If there is any way you could add a little heat to your dry fruit, i.e., simmer it covered in a small pan with some of your apfelwine for 10 or 15 minutes before adding to your carboy, may well increase your quality of you fruit wine.

Imo I don't think you'll taste it. At .5 lbs / gallon, there won't be much influence. Then when you consider that it's highly fermentable apricots, there won't be much taste left behind.

I don't know how much apricot influence you are going for, but Jester King uses 2.5 lbs/gallon in their fruit beers. And I couldn't taste the peach in their peach beer; which is also highly fermentable.

Whatever you decide, hope it tastes great!

Imo I don't think you'll taste it. At .5 lbs / gallon, there won't be much influence. Then when you consider that it's highly fermentable apricots, there won't be much taste left behind.

I don't know how much apricot influence you are going for, but Jester King uses 2.5 lbs/gallon in their fruit beers. And I couldn't taste the peach in their peach beer; which is also highly fermentable.

Whatever you decide, hope it tastes great!

Does Jester King use 2.5 lbs of dried peaches? I'm planning to use dried apricots.

-J

Does Jester King use 2.5 lbs of dried peaches? I'm planning to use dried apricots.

-J

No, they use 2.5 lbs of frozen fruit. Freezing the fruit bursts it's cell walls making it an easier time for the yeast and/or bugs. I didn't realize you planned on using dried ones. Undoubtedly, they are more concentrated than frozen fruit with all of it's water content.

Maybe experiment and split the batch with two doses of fruit?

BTW, this turned out excellent. Nice apricot bouquet and color, not as obvious on the flavor. I cooked the dried apricots (Trader Joes, with sulfites, 3 lbs for 6 gal cider) in a little water for an hour to soften them. I added pectic enzyme as well. It finished too dry for my taste so I back sweetened a little before kegging (to 1.008).

Drunken ramblings expunged by Prost Post

3 pounds of dried apricots equals 7 pounds of fresh (approx). How long did you leave your apricots in secondary, and were they basically unrecognizable? I do wonder if you got all you could have out of your apricots. As far as the flavor goes, if you can wait 6 months and check then, I am sure your cider will be very differently flavored; much more apricot-ish.

Latest posts

Back