Accidental sorbic acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonituss

Reaction score
I was bottling my 8 abv mead with sugar for 2 vols of CO2, and to back sweeten, added 25 ml of liquid stevia sweetener. When everything was neatly bottled, I read the list of ingredients, and to my horror the sweetener contained sorbic acid. Well, no fizz for me :( Or?

Some calculations later, I arrived at a concentration of sorbic acid at 2 ppm in the finished mead, assuming that the sweetener contained the maximum allowed (for foods) concentration of 0.1 % sorbic acid.

The stuff was pretty tasty even without fizz, so I think I'll manage to drink it anyway. But curious me wants to know if the mead will carbonate despite the presence of 2 ppm sorbic acid. What do you, my knowledgeable brewers, think?

Edit: changed ascorbic acid to sorbic acid.

Last edited:
sorbic acid? Or ascorbic acid? Ascorbic acid = vitamin C.

I don't think sorbic acid is a thing.

Thanks for replying! Whoopsie, that's supposed to be sorbic acid, of course. Thanks for the correction!

Well, sorbic acid is described as a food preservative, acting on, among others, yeasts. That's what got me worried about carbonation.
Sorbic acid

Back