AB acquired Wicked Weed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are businesses out there that want to do the best they can and not drive the competition out of business... and then there is abinbev....and knowing people that have worked for them they have always talked about driving other breweries out of business if possible....

So... I'll go with the local owners who tend to collaborate and work with other local breweries and provide plenty of jobs. I know LOTS of people working at the breweries close to me... turnover is very low and most have talked of how much they love working there.

I'm sure many inbev employees like their jobs... but ownership matters to me. It doesn't to everyone and that is ok. How a company treats others also matters to me..and yes.. there are US owned companies I'd rather not buy from if I don't have to...but I digress. Sorry about that.

I'd like to see the numbers where the average workers in these bought breweries are now making more and have better benefits. I keep hearing this from our fellow here but I've yet to see it in anything other than the $10k bonus for management.

Instead what I've read of is paring down to make higher profits and sometimes it's employees. Often they move the brewing and lay (I assume) all of them off.

@applescrap

Also, I've asked a couple times and you've not answered.

Do you own any mutual funds? Which documentaries are you referring to?

What I don't understand is that everyone crys that AB InBev is a bully but just about every single one of you complaining is acting as a bully towards each other or towards the big guy.

Perspective.

"Often" implies a lot. Do you have lots of examples where it's happened?

Beck's brewery was moved from Germany to St Louis. Celis Brewery that was bought out and then shut down altogether (why would you buy it to close it?).

SABMiller, after being acquired, was to lay off 5500 employees (ill bet they were stoked about their new ownership and couldn't wait to reap the benefits of being owned by an even larger corporation 🙄). I'm not sure how many breweries that effected.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.time.../anheuser-busch-layoffs-sabmiller/?source=dam

Look at InBev's CEO's history. It's telling. He's even cut a lot from AB. It's his MO.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.stlt...a655cea7-89e0-5800-bf6a-b717f10662ae.amp.html

So there's several for you.

Also, I've asked a couple times and you've not answered.

Do you own any mutual funds? Which documentaries are you referring to?

I do not own mutual funds. At one time we had stock in Ford and we get stock from work.

Beer Wars is one and the other I cannot recall as it's been quite some time since I've seen it and Google didn't bring it up.

What I don't understand is that everyone crys that AB InBev is a bully but just about every single one of you complaining is acting as a bully towards each other or towards the big guy.

Perspective.

Not at all. Providing evidence of their ways is hardly bullying. Providing evidence that they aren't this hero for the craft beer scene is hardly being a bully either. It's providing evidence to the contrary.

I assume that's directed at me since I seem to be the most vocal and providing a lot of links as of late.

Beck's brewery was moved from Germany to St Louis. Celis Brewery that was bought out and then shut down altogether (why would you buy it to close it?).

SABMiller, after being acquired, was to lay off 5500 employees (ill bet they were stoked about their new ownership and couldn't wait to reap the benefits of being owned by an even larger corporation 🙄). I'm not sure how many breweries that effected.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.time.../anheuser-busch-layoffs-sabmiller/?source=dam

Look at InBev's CEO's history. It's telling. He's even cut a lot from AB. It's his MO.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.stlt...a655cea7-89e0-5800-bf6a-b717f10662ae.amp.html

So there's several for you.

So, more often then not they don't close breweries or move them. I can name dozens that they've acquired and haven't moved/closed.

Beer Wars is one and the other I cannot recall as it's been quite some time since I've seen it and Google didn't bring it up.

Over and over you've said you seen documentaries but you can't name more than one???

It's painfully obvious that you hate InBev for reasons you don't even understand. That's fine. But don't expect to get a pass on it.

So, more often then not they don't close breweries or move them. I can name dozens that they've acquired and haven't moved/closed.

Over and over you've said you seen documentaries but you can't name more than one???

It's painfully obvious that you hate InBev for reasons you don't even understand. That's fine. But don't expect to get a pass on it.

That's a far stretch. You've either chosen not to read what's been presented or just don't mind it.

Often may not have been a proper word choice as it can imply more than what I intended, which was that they've done it several times.

We aren't talking that they've only been shown to do what's been mentioned just once or twice.

And why does there need to be more than one documentary, though there are at least two. Isn't even one showing shady practices and deceit enough?

Not at all. Providing evidence of their ways is hardly bullying. Providing evidence that they aren't this hero for the craft beer scene is hardly being a bully either. It's providing evidence to the contrary.

I assume that's directed at me since I seem to be the most vocal and providing a lot of links as of late.

No it's just an over generalization of the thread as a whole not meant to target anybody, it isn't pointed at you and providing links and information is great. The one thing I took away from my psychology degree (which was pointless hence why I'm in Chemistry grad school) is to get an unbiased review you have to read as many sources as possible to take away a gist that truly can be yours and yours alone. The far right and the left and some 'independent' reviews.

This is the figurative going in my mind:
Craft breweries being the kids on the school yard who talk but only talk and the big brewers that have the bark and the bite.

Not meaning to be offensive, but I see a lot of things that are unsavory on both sides of the debate. I should know better than to post without reading through but I'm having a few :mug:

And why does there need to be more than one documentary, though there are at least two. Isn't even one showing shady practices and deceit enough?

Because you repeatedly say "documentaries". As in plural. But you can't name them.

In the future, just say "Beer Wars". And calling that a documentary is a stretch...

Because you repeatedly say "documentaries". As in plural. But you can't name them.

In the future, just say "Beer Wars". And calling that a documentary is a stretch...

Because it's been years and I don't recall the name nor have NetFlix I shouldn't speak of it? Really?

Lol!!!! Posting that old, old news which has been debunked in tons of threads on HBT and elsewhere.

Keep tilting...

Ah. I should have read the article before posting it. SWMBO thought she was being helpful. I still haven't read it all but it seems it wasn't due to bullying from AB/InBev. Ok.

How is it not a documentary? Do explain.

Was this a bar? Seems kinda short-sighted for a bar to agree to an arrangement like that. I can see a small restaurant taking the free equipment though.

"Can we do bottles from you guys? Budweiser gave us our tap system and we're not allowed to put other beers on it so we have to do bottles from other breweries"

.... what we were just told from a new account that reached out to us about ten minutes ago.

The irony is thick given...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bo...massachusetts/ZK4GlD6BTUTSkpQwMuP4uN/amp.html

... and the state has massively more direct and plain out-in-the-open evidence against Bud/InBev than they did against Craft Brewer's Guild

There is the rub. In most all of the cases I have read about, it was the distributor who broke the law (took the fall) and ABI was untouchable despite the fact that it is ABI offering the incentives for said behavior.

From what I have read, Chicago is the most gregarious areas of offenses via distribution strongholds.

If the law can't make anything stick to the true "offender" then the law must revise itself to make the incentive less appealing to the distributor. But even that will fall short if there is no enforcement, which is the current main issue.

What good is a speed limit if no-one is there to catch anyone speeding?

Is it InBev's fault for doing allegedly illegal things, or enforcement official's fault for not shipping it?

This issue is larger than InBev...

No industry is going to self-regulate...

Cape, I gotta racking cane and bottling wand. I'll help you bottle so you can into that market. :)

Is it InBev's fault for doing allegedly illegal things, or enforcement official's fault for not shipping it?

A bit of both, I think.

ABI has been notoriously skirting the edges of what is legal marketing. Distributors have been flat out on the take for a long time with no enforcement repercussions. Even the DOJ recognizes this but has done little about it other than stipulate a 10% max limit on products at non-independent distribution sites.

That is the one that melts my melon. But not enough for me to dig into the hows and whys. Three tier was meant to prevent the ABI's of the world from owning distribution, and yet I've read that they wholly own ~21 locations. :confused:

They probably write it off as a business expense and use the tax savings to buy new draft set up for bars served by the distributors they own. :eek:

Wouldn't surprise me.

I assume the state is collecting the fine. Like they would do anything productive with the money... They should order direct restitution paid to all the small guys that were affected.

Wouldn't surprise me.

I assume the state is collecting the fine. Like they would do anything productive with the money... They should order direct restitution paid to all the small guys that were affected.

Whohoo! Each brewery will get a 100 dollar check. Minus 80 processing fees, of course.

It would be more like $500 and no processing fees. A handwritten check from the distributor and a nice personalized letter of apology;)

I'll concede to $500 with $200 administration fees. Computer generated check from the trust administrator and a form letter from the distributor on ABI watermarked letterhead.

This issue is larger than InBev...

No industry is going to self-regulate...

Cape, I gotta racking cane and bottling wand. I'll help you bottle so you can into that market. :)

Pfft.

Whatever Skippy

Back