AB acquired Wicked Weed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ my buddy got it in Johnstown of all places. Trust me it's not as good as it used to be but it's still good.

It might be hard to find other places, but it's always on the shelf here. Has been since they started canning it years ago. I drink it fairly regularly and I don't think it's changed at all. I'll pick up a sixer this wkend for testing purposes :)

It might be hard to find other places, but it's always on the shelf here. Has been since they started canning it years ago. I drink it fairly regularly and I don't think it's changed at all. I'll pick up a sixer this wkend for testing purposes :)

Hey thats not fair, you are like two blocks from the brewery. Maybe because I only drink it once a year in March, I noticed the change? I'm certainly not biased to ob. You need to mail them to me fo testing .:)

Hey thats not fair, you are like two blocks from the brewery. Maybe because I only drink it once a year in March, I noticed the change? I'm certainly not biased to ob. You need to mail them to me fo testing .:)

I lived in Clearwater 20 years ago... Busch Light was the "go to" then!! :ban:

I was in Orlando a few weeks ago and may have had one or two while I was there... or 20! We were staying at Disney's Old Key West and they are charging $8 a can/cup! Thank goodness for cars, ABC stores and red "roadie" cups!! :mug:

^^ my buddy got it in Johnstown of all places. Trust me it's not as good as it used to be but it's still good. Either way don't look for it and buy it, because they took shelf space from some local Brewery. And whatever you do don't buy barrel aged 1050. I am really starting to get it now I think.

I can't sufficiently quantify how stupid this comment is.

I am taking this guy's way out. Applecrap is now on ignore, as he keeps spouting the most nonsensical BS.

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

Yes, no liquor/bottle shop is going to stock beer that doesn't move. That's idiotic business.

The "bottle shop" has very little say. It's the distributor that places the bottles on the shelves. The "independent" distributors are paid by (or in some cases even owned by) InBev to not distribute craft beers. InBev uses their market dominance, lobbying, and unfair business practices to eliminate competition. They are not good for the craft beer market.

Yet the craft beer market is better than it's ever been...

Just because the craft bear market is doing well doesn't mean it's not being attacked. Every dollar the goes to big beer companies is a dollar potentially used to squeeze small brewers out of shelf space and tap room. I prefer to support local business instead of global corporations.

Yet the craft beer market is better than it's ever been...

Imagine how much better it would be if their hands weren't in every cookie jar they can reach into. What they do is most certainly harmful for craft beer granted their reach isn't total.

Just because the craft bear market is doing well doesn't mean it's not being attacked. Every dollar the goes to big beer companies is a dollar potentially used to squeeze small brewers out of shelf space and tap room. I prefer to support local business instead of global corporations.

I prefer to drink beer I like, not some arbitrary "local" thing...

FB_IMG_1490983375301.jpg

No doubt. And I'm at a loss for what "local" means to them.

I'm for great beer first and foremost. I'd easily spend a bit extra for something epic that I can't get such as Pliny, though not on a regular basis. After that I look for something reasonably priced. Sometimes it's something like Sierra Nevada (not small or local) and sometimes it's something local. I've been surprised by how good a lot of our local beers are as Texas just isn't the place one thinks of for great beer unless maybe it was a German lager as there's a big influence in places (we are heading to Pluggerville for a German festival today).

I think a lot of the craft beer prices can be outrageous, especially on bombers. There's just no way I'm dropping $10+ on a 22 oz beer (maybe were it something epic like Pliny as a one time thing) when I can get a six pack for that, and a six pack of craft here can be as low as a bit under $7. I think something these small breweries could do is something like a co-op to get better prices in bulk thus reducing their costs.

No doubt. And I'm at a loss for what "local" means to them.

I'm for great beer first and foremost. I'd easily spend a bit extra for something epic that I can't get such as Pliny, though not on a regular basis. After that I look for something reasonably priced. Sometimes it's something like Sierra Nevada (not small or local) and sometimes it's something local. I've been surprised by how good a lot of our local beers are as Texas just isn't the place one thinks of for great beer unless maybe it was a German lager as there's a big influence in places (we are heading to Pluggerville for a German festival today).

I think a lot of the craft beer prices can be outrageous, especially on bombers. There's just no way I'm dropping $10+ on a 22 oz beer (maybe were it something epic like Pliny as a one time thing) when I can get a six pack for that, and a six pack of craft here can be as low as a bit under $7. I think something these small breweries could do is something like a co-op to get better prices in bulk thus reducing their costs.

If you're into mead, or wanting to try it, may I suggest Meridian Hive. Local to Texas, and the owner is a former HBTer.

If you're into mead, or wanting to try it, may I suggest Meridian Hive. Local to Texas, and the owner is a former HBTer.

We have to growlers from them that we had filled at a farmer's market. We both really love his dry hopped version!

Mead is also something I've been meaning to try out for years but just haven't jumped in yet. Same with wines as SWMBO became interested so I bought her all she needed. She made the Apfelwine and a cranberry wine but then just left them. Seems I'll have to put them to use for her...

The "bottle shop" has very little say. It's the distributor that places the bottles on the shelves. The "independent" distributors are paid by (or in some cases even owned by) InBev to not distribute craft beers. InBev uses their market dominance, lobbying, and unfair business practices to eliminate competition. They are not good for the craft beer market.

That is certainly not the way things work around here. The grocery store/bottle shop gives an order to the distributor. Sometimes the distributor will stock for you when they deliver (store stocks from the back after that) but even then the distributor is given as much or as little space as the shop owner decides. If ABI is given 20 feet and craft is given 4 feet, it is because that is what moves in that store.

That is certainly not the way things work around here. The grocery store/bottle shop gives an order to the distributor. Sometimes the distributor will stock for you when they deliver (store stocks from the back after that) but even then the distributor is given as much or as little space as the shop owner decides. If ABI is given 20 feet and craft is given 4 feet, it is because that is what moves in that store.

That's how I see it done here. Typically the very hipster stores will have little to no ab / Miller distros, it it's there choice. It's pretty obvious who pushes big distribution beers when Black Friday rolls around and you see the quantity given to different liquor stores for BCBS.

If ABI is given 20 feet and craft is given 4 feet, it is because that is what moves in that store.

Of course that's what sells. It's mainly a factor of what's available and what's advertised. Both of those are stacked in favor of and illegally subsidized by InBev.

What I'd like to see is some industry group offer a 'Certified Craft' designation/logo that independent breweries can apply, and be approved, for which would guarantee a certain quality level as well as a level of independence. Breweries with the designation could use the logo on their packaging etc. which might help consumers make more informed choices.

So sounds like the BA was already on the case...

https://www.brewbound.com/news/2017...il&utm_term=0_6026cb3473-1def090572-168625296

So if InBev buys 24.9% of a company, they'll still be considered "independent."

I wonder why they chose "less than 25%" as the standard?

If I understand correctly, the criteria for this are pretty much what they've been using for the definition of 'craft' in the past; the barrel limit being an obvious hilarity! At least this is something though... anything that provides more information to the consumer as to what's truly independent and what's now 'crafty' BMC-owned can't be all bad.

If I understand correctly, the criteria for this are pretty much what they've been using for the definition of 'craft' in the past; the barrel limit being an obvious hilarity! At least this is something though... anything that provides more information to the consumer as to what's truly independent and what's now 'crafty' BMC-owned can't be all bad.

Yeah, I know they haven't changed the definition (well, at least recently ;) ), but I don't think the purests would be happy with an "Independent" labelling system that could include a company that was 24.9% owned by InBev.

I haven't been able to find why they chose the 25% threshold (as opposed to 0%, 10%, 49%, etc.). I'm curious as to why it was chosen, especially since the BA has been very open that changes to the "small" definition have been made to keep Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, etc. in the "craft" category.

Has this affected foot traffic at the Asheville stores get?

Unfortunately, but at least only anecdotally, no...

https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2017/06/asheville-day-three.html

"It’s pretty hot outside. I work up a nice sweat walking up the slight incline to Wicked Weed. That big hill on the way back to the house is going to be fun. But that’s later.

The takeover doesn’t seem to have put folks off. The patio is mobbed. As is the bar inside. Luckily, there are two free seats. But before I can grab one, two women move in. Though they don’t sit down. Obviously they’re just going to order. So I hover behind them until they’re done."

Wow, those brewers really did sell their souls. "Let the consumer decide"? InBev does everything they possibly can to reduce consumer choice.

We can only hope for better distribution out of this whole thing.

Honestly, does this really bother all of you? Who cares?

If AB offered you $1 billion dollars for your brewery you wouldn't take it, because it would mean your "selling out!" Get real...

We can only hope for better distribution out of this whole thing.

Honestly, does this really bother all of you? Who cares?

If AB offered you $1 billion dollars for your brewery you wouldn't take it, because it would mean your "selling out!" Get real...

Why do so many seem to relate to the perspective of the brewery that sold out instead of the customer that they almost certainly are?

Why do so many seem to relate to the perspective of the brewery that sold out instead of the customer that they almost certainly are?

I can't relate to the perspective of the brewery, but I can say that if the price is right I'd sell too...You mean I can retire, and do what I love for fun now!? Easy choice!

From a customer's perspective, this only effects me in a positive way as my local Kroger might start stocking WW when distribution grows thanks to AB. I like good beer, regardless whose name is on it...

I can't relate to the perspective of the brewery, but I can say that if the price is right I'd sell too...You mean I can retire, and do what I love for fun now!? Easy choice!

From a customer's perspective, this only effects me in a positive way as my local Kroger might start stocking WW when distribution grows thanks to AB. I like good beer, regardless whose name is on it...

Who cares about Wicked Weed. Plenty of other amazing breweries out there. It's a shame, but some people wanted to cash out. Good for them, but maybe not so much for the consumer in the future. Time will tell.

Just makes room for one of our HBT brothers and sisters to surpass them...

That's just the thing: it doesn't. In fact, it makes it more difficult for new breweries to break into the market. Every brand that ABI acquires is more power they have to control shelf- and tap-space, and to drive down the market price of "craft" beer. Those factors make life much more difficult for start-up breweries.

The issue isn't really about what's good for the brewery or for the consumer. It's about what's good for the craft beer movement as a whole. Budweiser already clawed their way to the top of a heap of conquered breweries once. It is fairly obvious that they are waging the same war again.

I will admit, I can't blame the "sell-out" breweries for what they have done. I would like to believe that my principles do not have a dollar value, but I cannot honestly say that I know what I would do were I offered that multi-million dollar check.

I will say that I totally support what the BA is doing with their "independent" seal. This is exactly the sort of solution that I have been hoping for. ABI is just sore that they're finally being called out on their shady business practices.

That's just the thing: it doesn't. In fact, it makes it more difficult for new breweries to break into the market. Every brand that ABI acquires is more power they have to control shelf- and tap-space, and to drive down the market price of "craft" beer. Those factors make life much more difficult for start-up breweries.

Do you really believe this? I cannot attest to the craft beer market in Indy (nor have I tried to open a brewery), but in Nashville the number of craft breweries has grown exponentially in the last 5 years. Trust me, I've been waiting for the price of craft beer to be driven down, but it is rock steady. If anything, it has increased over the years. Also, I've really only seen expansion on the shelves in favor of non-AB craft breweries, and they're mostly >$9/6-pack. Not cheap in my eyes...but I pay it because I like their beers.

I was never a fan of Goose Island's beer before AB, and guess what?! I'm still not a fan, so I still pass them up for other beers that I like. However, I like WW beers so if they start distributing them here then I will probably buy some every once in a while. If AB wants to sell them cheaper, then it's a win for me.

The issue isn't really about what's good for the brewery or for the consumer. It's about what's good for the craft beer movement as a whole. Budweiser already clawed their way to the top of a heap of conquered breweries once. It is fairly obvious that they are waging the same war again.

I'm not sure AB is trying to wage a war on craft beer to abolish it as a whole. I think If that was the case then they would be trying to purchase every craft brewery that opens, and they're not. It seems that they're making business decisions to purchase these profitable breweries in order to increase revenues. Like any other big corporation does...

If AB starts buying all the major malt, hop, or yeast companies only to raise the prices then I will get worried about the "craft beer movement."

If AB starts buying all the major malt, hop, or yeast companies only to raise the prices then I will get worried about the "craft beer movement."

They buy up distributors and they pay distributors to drop craft beer, and they do many other anti-community actions.

They buy up distributors and they pay distributors to drop craft beer, and they do many other anti-community actions.

Not so much paying them to drop craft breweries - the brewer would then be free to sign with a different distributor, but AB incentivizes the distros to concentrate on their own brands, to the detriment of the small guys. bonuses for sales, increases, percentages. It's at the fuzzy edge of the line - there's things they can't do regarding competition, but they go right to the line and occasionally a toe over it.

Back