A tasteless Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glongo

Reaction score
My friends I again need some advise. I am a new home brewer and have been pretty lucky so far with two succesful brews one nut brown ale and one XX stout. Both were rich and flavorful and very tasty. So for a friend I was asked to try something more mild, but the problem is it seems to be very mild with almost no flavor. Here's what I did.... where did I go wrong or is this how it was suppose to come out.

6 .lbs Briess Golden light extract
11 .oz Specialty grains (light)
11g Nottingham Ale Yeast
Tap water From Verplanck NY (steming from the North East Croton Resv.)
2.5 oz. Mt. Hood hopp Pellets Alpha 4.2%
1.5 .oz 60 minute boil
.5 .oz last 15 minutes of boil
.5 .oz last 5 minutes of boil

The starting gravity was 1.040 and the starting alc% was 5.16%

I Chilled it down to 60* right away and fermented for 7 days between 58* and 63*. It was suppose to be a light amber. However I bottled it yesterday with 5 oz. of dextrose and 16 .oz of tap water for priming and it was a urine color not a brownish red color. The Final gravity was 1.009 and the Alc% was 1% giving it a final alc% of 3.999%. Do you think that bottling it will increase some flavor or just give it clearity? Should I have kept the fermentation temp closer to the mid 60's vs. the low 60's high 50's? Maybe it tasted wierd because it was flat.... who knows I just hope that It turns out ok. Anyone have some input? Right now I am only extract brewing and would like to move on to partial mash brewing but I want to make sure that I have the process itself down before moving up. I just aquired all of the equipment that I need but I am unsure of going foward without being experienced enough. I just dont want to waste lots of money on supplies and my time if I dont have to. I really appreciate everyones input and any suggestions are very welcome.

Till then...... Brew On my Friends Brew On! :rockin:

I would have let it ferment longer. Also 58 is a little low for ales. Just let it sit in bottles for a while and hopefully it'll work out. The color diffrence could just be yeast still in suspension, which will settle out when you refrigerate after conditioning.

Yeah a little higher temp and more time probably would have benefited you but wait it out and see if the yeast cleans it all up.

seems a little light on specialty grains to me.

check out orfy's mild

as a great easy drinker, and good place to start for milds.

I just brewed centennial blonde as well and seems to be an easy drinking hit as well.

I would say it tasted the way it did because it was flat. I did a light American ale that was very watery tasting with no flavor when I bottled it. After it carbed up it tasted like it should have. It was just missing that zing the CO2 gives it. A few darker specialty grains would have also darkened it up a little. But the major flavor is because it is missing that carbonation.

Thank u.... yeah the next batch is gonna get a higher temp. I was told by a post that nottingham makes a clean crisp beer at 60* and that it likes the colder temp?

Hi all just wanted to report that it turned out just fine. Cracked one just to see what it taste like and it was pretty good. A few more weeks in the bottle will do it just fine but I was satisfied. Thanks all for the feedback.

Back