A home brew Wheat ingredient puzzle - anyone solve it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkgmsu2000

RDWHAHB
Reaction score
still quite the newb when it comes to building recipes, but its sure fun to try :D

i picked up the following ingredients at my local home brew store.
if possible, I would like to use up the majority of these ingredients to make 2, 3 gallon batches (partial mash) of slightly similar wheat ales.

3 lbs Rahr 2-row
3 lbs Weyermann Pale Wheat
1 lb Flaked wheat
1 lb Torrified wheat
1 lb Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
1 lb Muntons Wheat DME

1 oz Liberty Hops
1 oz Cascade Hops

Wyeast German Ale (1007)
Wyeast German Wheat (3333)

i think i could easily take all of the 2-row and mash it with the flaked wheat, and add a little DME, add some hops, pick a yeast and voila! i would feel pretty good about getting at least one decent 3 gallon batch with this kind of recipe.

but could i get another one? ive been told its 60% barley to 40% wheat.

you could make an all wheat beer with the rest check out this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
still quite the newb when it comes to building recipes, but its sure fun to try :D

i picked up the following ingredients at my local home brew store.
if possible, I would like to use up the majority of these ingredients to make 2, 3 gallon batches (partial mash) of slightly similar wheat ales.

i think i could easily take all of the 2-row and mash it with the flaked wheat, and add a little DME, add some hops, pick a yeast and voila! i would feel pretty good about getting at least one decent 3 gallon batch with this kind of recipe.

but could i get another one? ive been told its 60% barley to 40% wheat.

Why not just use it all and make a 6 gal. batch. If your equip won't do 6 gal at one time do 2 batches and mix it, it needs airiated anyway before you pitch your yeast, you should get 2 real close batches

Why not just use it all and make a 6 gal. batch. If your equip won't do 6 gal at one time do 2 batches and mix it, it needs airiated anyway before you pitch your yeast, you should get 2 real close batches

2 reasons.

1) i can only boil about 3.5 gallons on my stove.

2) my goal is to make 2 wheat batches that have slightly different ingredients and use a different yeast for each. i think this is a great way to learn about ingredients and a way to accelerate the learning curve. i can compare them side by side and pick out the differences and tie them to the ingredients in that batch.

you could make an all wheat beer with the rest check out this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF6FkLqmqUk

oh man simply awesome :mug: thank you for sharing this video, its why i come here for help because you guys are so helpful and know about videos and stuff like this.

this looks a little tricky but as i always say, if its easy it aint worth doin'

I'm pretty sure one of the principles of the scientific method is to keep as many things constant and changing just one variable

Sorry to rip on you but wouldn't you accelerate your learning by using all the same ingredients and different yeasts? Making two separate recipes and comparing them isn't going to refine your pallets because your not going to know what differences you're tasting.

how about:
1lb DME
1.5lb Pale malt
1.5lb wheat malt
1lb flaked wheat
0.5oz cascade @60
0.5oz cascade @flameout
pick a yeast
then do the same with the other yeast and liberty, puts you around 1.05 and 15-20IBUs
you'll get to learn a few things without changing much

Back