3rd starter looks very different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzomerlei

Reaction score
I made a small starter Wednesday evening, 1qt water and 1/2 cup dme. I boiled for about 15 minutes and added a pinch of yeast nutrient during the boil.

I cooled the wort to 70 and pitched the room temp liquid yeast. Put the flask on the stir plate and let it sit.

I looked at it today and instead of a smooth creamy looking liquid like before, the liquid is fairly clear and I can see what looks like cold break proteins swirling around.

Is this normal? My other starters did not look like this...

Thanks for the input.
Brent

Well, I pitched the starter Saturday and it took right off. It appears there was no issue with the viability of the starter.

Brent

It was probably a more flocculant (clumping) yeast strain that was clumping during growth. Wyeast Whitbread 1099 did that for me. Glad it worked--that flocculation should make it easy to pour off clear.

I looked at it today and instead of a smooth creamy looking liquid like before, the liquid is fairly clear and I can see what looks like cold break proteins swirling around.

Is this normal? My other starters did not look like this...

I know what you're talking about, and I've seen that with my starters before. I wondered about it as well. It's gotta be break material since I've seen it even prior to pitching the yeast. I've never noticed any ill effects from it, whatever it is.

What was the strain?

Brewgirl was right, it was highly flocculant strain, White Labs WLP002. I looked at White Labs website, they indicated it was very highly flocculant.

It turned out fine. I blasted the cooled wort with a bit of O2, perhaps about a minutes worth. I had great activity the next morning.

Thanks for the replies.

Brent

Latest posts

Back