3 weeks of fermenting and still not ready??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codym

Reaction score
I just prepared everything for bottling, pulled out my lemongrass beer which was brewed just under 3 weeks ago. (Assumed it would be ready) Noticed that the airlock was bubbling once/every 30secs still. This concerned me so I checked the gravity and it was 1.015. My sheet says it should be 1.013. Am I close enough to go ahead in bottle it or is this beer still not ready to bottle? Thanks for any suggestions!

I just prepared everything for bottling, pulled out my lemongrass beer which was brewed just under 3 weeks ago. (Assumed it would be ready) Noticed that the airlock was bubbling once/every 30secs still. This concerned me so I checked the gravity and it was 1.015. My sheet says it should be 1.013. Am I close enough to go ahead in bottle it or is this beer still not ready to bottle? Thanks for any suggestions!

Check it again in 3 days to see if it reads the same and then you are good to go for bottling

Moving the carboy can cause the airlock bubbles. Constant gravity over a few days is the best way to tell, but after a couple weeks (in an average brew at an average temp) it's done fermenting as much as it's gonna.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What temp is it fermenting at? A little warmer will speed up the finish.

Lots of things can cause bubbles. Footsteps nearby, micro-temperature changes, etc. Or moving it too. As mentioned above, check it again in a couple days and if it hasn't changed, you're good to go.

Being high by 2 points is fine. The target FG is always going to be an estimate, at least until you've brewed the exact same beer the exact same way a couple of times and know where it'll finish. But unless you know the result on your equipment with your process already, there's always going to be a little variation.

I've had beers take a few days past the three week mark to finish. Then another 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty. Sometimes though, they do finish a little higher than normal. I agree with waiting 3 days & check it again just to be sure, at least.

Thanks for the help. Going to bottle it today, the FG ended up dropping a couple of points since 3 days ago, but its at the predicted FG of the recipe now.

Back