2112 california lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brockettbrews, the Wyeast website is very helpful:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=131

YEAST STRAIN: 2112 | California Lager™
Back to Yeast Strain List

This strain is particularly well suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers with woody/minty hop flavor. It retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65°F (18°C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 58-68° F (14-20° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 9% ABV

Styles:
Baltic Porter
California Common Beer
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer
Cream Ale
Other Smoked Beer
Premium American Lager
Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

I fermented it at probably 62-65. There are no off flavors but the flavor is on the weak side. It is sam adams lager clone and it will be finished dry hopping next weekend. Tastes kinda like SA only without that sweet SA taste and less flavor. Still will be drinkable and that's what matters.

This was the first yeast I used in my new ferm chamber, I used a generic lagering method without reading the specs. It fermented around 50F if my memory serves me correctly-not the reccomended 58 to 68. It still ended up being beer but, it was fairly weak on the flavor side.

i usally ferm around 55 but im lagering beers at 34 and no real way to ferm around 55. i would use the 34/70 if i could get it down to 55

I've used it in a cream ale that ended up fermenting at about 55-57 due to "environmental constraints." It took a bit longer, but ended up very good. I like the yeast. Its nice how clear the beer is - it really falls out.

It makes a good steam beer; I usually ferment around 63 and get the ester profile I want in a cal common. It might be a little estery at 66, but maybe not.

I feremented it at 53 for both a Schwarz and a Steam. I think the low temp was good for the schwarz, but too low for the Steam as its pretty "boring"

I'll also add that I have used it for my winter ale the last two years (kind of an old ale type deal) and for some reason I dont think that yeast does very well with aging. I have many other beers (some are +3 years old) that age much better with 1272, but for some reason the 2112 beers seem to fade after about 12-16 months.

I currently have a batch that I had fermenting in the primary around 68F. Started to get a bit foamy at the top and had strong estery smells the first week - took a taste around the second week and had a more metallicy taste - took it out to prime a week and a half ago never did anything with it so it's been sitting at 72-74F and smells like some heavy alcohols.... we shall see! Or, if anyone has an idea of how to tame this down...that would be great...

Back