2020 National Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope everyone has been saving their money...the AHA has now added an additional 9 dollar per entry fee for the final round on top of the 16 dollar first round entry fee. With shipping and a successful first round, this comp will be quite pricey.

I would be more than glad to pay the extra $9 if I got to the second round.

The past 3 years, I have scored 38, 38, and 40 and didn't advance. I'm hoping this year I'll get to the second round.

The past 3 years, I have scored 38, 38, and 40 and didn't advance. I'm hoping this year I'll get to the second round.

That’s what I thought. It does add up but it’s such a very well run competition and I’ll gladly pay the money if I make it there. I’m lucky to live right next door to the Cleveland drop off so no shipping for me.

I hope everyone has been saving their money...the AHA has now added an additional 9 dollar per entry fee for the final round on top of the 16 dollar first round entry fee. With shipping and a successful first round, this comp will be quite pricey.

Agreed! Two entries at $32 plus around $18 shipping puts me at $50 to have somebody drink my beers! I am wanting to get into competitions and the idea of getting recognition at Nationals is tempting, but I think I am going to stick with some local competitions with $8 entry fees for this year.

I really should not discourage anyone from entering whatever the heck they want, but in my opinion, this is the one you enter when you want to win, i.e. recognition for something you already know is good...Not for feedback when you're wondering how to improve; you'll most likely be disappointed in that case.

The extra fee is annoying, but then again I paid $$$ to ship my stuff overnight to the Finals last year, avoiding both the June heat and the fiasco with the local FedEx Ground site opening/rejecting packages with alcohol. It worked out OK, ;) and as it's the last thing I compete in, I can afford that ridiculousness once a year.

When people ask why I don't really compete anymore, I say something to the effect of "tired of paying people to drink my best stuff" - but still, I'll be in this competition again, hopefully for the last time. 7 years, 35 career entries, 24 to Finals, 5 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze, 4 Major Awards. Feel free to ask me or even send me a bottle if you need help with where to put an entry or brutally honest opinion on if something has a chance. BJCP GM/Mead/Cider

good luck to everyone--
--Michael

Is this the biggest competition out there?

It's the biggest single competition entry wise. The Master Championship of Amateur Brewing is up there too...but only in the sense that to get in to MCAB finals, you have to finish first in a category in one of 14 different competitions around the country, and now that they only do finals every two years...you are talking 28 comps with a combined 16000-18000 entries just to make finals. https://www.masterhomebrewer.org/

Maybe try a different regional? Happened to me two years ago in Chicago, 39.5, 40 and a 38 did not make it out of first round. Last year had a 39 and 37 make it to finals out of Philly. And both made mini-BOS in the finals with a 42 and 39...so close but yet so far to the elusive medal!

That’s what I thought. It does add up but it’s such a very well run competition and I’ll gladly pay the money if I make it there. I’m lucky to live right next door to the Cleveland drop off so no shipping for me.
What if you don’t get into the Cleveland location? I don’t think they make any guarantees you’ll get in your first pick

I see a Feb 20 to March 5 delivery window on the dates and deadlines page. Is it safe assume that you have until March 5 at all first round judging locations?

They also mention to look at the judging center info but everything is TBD so that is why posted.

Thinking about entering this year and trying to see if I have enough to brew something.

They also mention to look at the judging center info but everything is TBD so that is why posted.

Thinking about entering this year and trying to see if I have enough to brew something.

Hopefully you got your application in as I think the application deadline was a few hours ago.

After entering one year and serving as a steward that same year, I won't waste my time/money/beer again. Here's my experience:

I had two entries: a blonde ale using the centennial blonde recipe and a NEIPA.

The blonde came out exceptionally well and my non-craft beer drinking friends loved it.
The feedback? "Overly bitter and hoppy. Not the approachable, easy drinking beer for the style." This on a beer with a theoretical IBU of 22. Score of 27.

The NEIPA was a diacetyl bomb. I dumped the keg after bottling, but sent it in because I didn't know if it would hurt my chances in the future to sign up for an entry and not submit anything. I expected a courtesy 13 or, maybe up to a 20 if they were nice. Certified judges in my homebrew club picked up the diacetyl immediately and agreed it was pronounced. Yet not a single comment about that and they gave it a score of 34.

So either they mixed my bottles with someone else's or the judges were clueless. Comments and scores did not match my beers in any way, shape or form.

Now...as a steward. The judges were expected to judge far too many beers. I had judges sigh and ask how many more to be judged when I brought the next beer, then groan when I said 6 more. They were burnt out and had blown palates, IMO.

It would be cool to score well, medal, get to the next round, etc., but I have zero confidence that the quality of my beer is deciding factor in that, so why bother?

My only other entry was a local competition where my NEIPA scored a 43 and won best of show.

Went to take a look at things it and it appears they extended the application window. It now says Jan 27 8am MT

Apparently there was a lot of "I NEVER SAW THE EMAIL!" complaints, despite the warning that the application time was coming, then that it was open, and then that it was closing soon, AND that there was no need to depend on email if you were paying any attention to their website. But, whatever. The AHA continues to bend over backwards to make sure everyone gets in and I guess that's a good thing.
Expect the limit will be 5 again. I already have 4 picked out; best of luck to the rest of you. Cheers--

After entering one year and serving as a steward that same year, I won't waste my time/money/beer again. Here's my experience:

I had two entries: a blonde ale using the centennial blonde recipe and a NEIPA.

The blonde came out exceptionally well and my non-craft beer drinking friends loved it.
The feedback? "Overly bitter and hoppy. Not the approachable, easy drinking beer for the style." This on a beer with a theoretical IBU of 22. Score of 27.

The NEIPA was a diacetyl bomb. I dumped the keg after bottling, but sent it in because I didn't know if it would hurt my chances in the future to sign up for an entry and not submit anything. I expected a courtesy 13 or, maybe up to a 20 if they were nice. Certified judges in my homebrew club picked up the diacetyl immediately and agreed it was pronounced. Yet not a single comment about that and they gave it a score of 34.

So either they mixed my bottles with someone else's or the judges were clueless. Comments and scores did not match my beers in any way, shape or form.

Now...as a steward. The judges were expected to judge far too many beers. I had judges sigh and ask how many more to be judged when I brought the next beer, then groan when I said 6 more. They were burnt out and had blown palates, IMO.

It would be cool to score well, medal, get to the next round, etc., but I have zero confidence that the quality of my beer is deciding factor in that, so why bother?

My only other entry was a local competition where my NEIPA scored a 43 and won best of show.

Your experience is exactly why the Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing was developed and launched in 1998. Dig through the old Homebrew Digest for details. I guess that "as much as things change, they always stay the same".

homebrudoc

Back