2013 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jglazer said:
Yea my Tettnang are starting to shoot to the side and are at the beginning stages of cone production, seems very early (North Carolina). Hopefully it wont effect overall production. The tettnag are probably ~10' tall and my cascades are anywhere between 2-4`.

I'm in NC as well. My second year Zeus and Cascade are both getting near 12' with some bines. I'm getting sides and burrs too.

This was my Cascade on 5/3, after a month in the ground

2013-05-03%2008.50.20.jpg

This is what its like now on 5/17

2013-05-17%2020.30.02.jpg

Its now nearing 6 feet...

I wish my other ones were doing so well, both my Columbus and Newports are still kinda scrawny. Oh and ignore the silly edging stones above ground, we're (me really) probably laying some paving and edging stones down so i bought a few to see how it'd look before blowing a few hundred and realize we hate how it looks.
Columbus
2013-05-17%2020.29.22.jpg

Newport
2013-05-17%2020.29.31.jpg

Winter in Minnesota was particularly brutal this year, with ridiculous late spring snows and frost until the second week of May. I had 6-8 foot long vines on some plants after growing them in pots since early April when I got my rhizomes.

I accidentally snapped off the growing tips of two vines and the rest were withered by battering winds and sleet. So I cut them all to the ground and will just wait for root growth and new shoots.

I have a good pile of compost on top of them. Is there such a thing as too much?

hops 002.jpg

hops 021.jpg

hops 042.jpg

hops 040.jpg

Transplanted my Cascade and Chinook last weekend into the ground from pots. I was very carefully not to disturb the roots or plants. Soil is great. I mixed some worm castings into the soil in the holes before placing the plants. Watered the plants in place. Today the tips of both cascade bines are brown and dry and the leaves are staring to look ratty. The chinook is happy and healthy and so is the Kent Golding in the pot sitting next to the others. Both plants in the ground were treated identically and are only about three feet apart.

Any ideas? Will the bines sprout a branch if they lose the tip? They are only about 2 feet long. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Here is a pic of my townhouse roof top grow. The container is a drilled out 189L rubbermaid container with a 3rd year Willamette. This is first year in the new location. The trellis is made out of a sawhorse bracket and is about 7.5ft high. Not as high as I'd like but i'm going to zig zag the bines a few times before they hit the top. Hopefully it will work out alright.

I give you some pretty big credit here. That's an ambitious project for a small area and I wish you the best of luck with this.

Winter in Minnesota was particularly brutal this year, with ridiculous late spring snows and frost until the second week of May.

Add today's torrential rain with flooding and and buckets of pea-sized hail and whatever had survived would have died today. Germany is so temperate compared to this crazy climate! What can I do to protect my babies from this when they come up?

At least I found out my sidewalk drains well and holds back the hop piles. This has been the longest Spring ever. I am hoping that whatever hops survive this tempest will be really hardy! :eek:

Here's mine cascade on the left and fuggle on the right, already reached 8 feet. Found a couple guardians among the leaves also!

ForumRunner_20130520_151637.jpg

ForumRunner_20130520_151651.png

ForumRunner_20130520_151700.png

ForumRunner_20130520_151710.png

Sweet photos... but ACK!! I think that spider may be a recluse of some sort.

image-390650255.jpg

Heres my set up. So far so good for year two... Last year was way too warm and they didn't grow we'll at all. These are growing in Ottawa Canada.
From left to right...Goldings, Cascade, Mt Hood courtesy of Left field farms in BC.

I helped my buddy build this on Sunday. Ordering crowns from Great Lakes Hops. 6 Horizon, 3 Viking, and 3 Sterling crowns will get planted here in about a week.

:ban:

Hopping Serious.jpg

Finally finished building my hop rig and planted my rhizomes. Hoping it wasn't too late...

IMG_20130521_103649_zps6840ae6b.jpg

Yes, one of the towers is a little crooked. I had my nephew help me and he's still learning. I didn't feel like fixing it...

Sweet photos... but ACK!! I think that spider may be a recluse of some sort.

I don't know what kind of spiders you have in your area, but it looks a lot like one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo_spider ...not so much as the one in the picture but the shape, the stance and the large lobster like claw/fang things.

[edit] better picture here http://hobospider.org/

you guys are scaring me, i hope hes not still chillin there when it comes time to harvest!!!

About spiders, I tend to get a lot of whitish, grayish, spiders on my bines, especially toward the end of growing season. They are fantastic to have around, imo, as I don't have problems with pests and don't have to add pesticides. Bottom line, don't stress about the spiders--they don't eat hops or vegetation--so welcome them. I have found, though, that it's wise to give the bines a solid shake (which gets the spiders to drop out) before picking hops...

(I believe recluse spiders tend to stay on the ground but I'm no expert.)

About spiders, I tend to get a lot of whitish, grayish, spiders on my bines, especially toward the end of growing season. They are fantastic to have around, imo, as I don't have problems with pests and don't have to add pesticides. Bottom line, don't stress about the spiders--they don't eat hops or vegetation--so welcome them. I have found, though, that it's wise to give the bines a solid shake (which gets the spiders to drop out) before picking hops...

(I believe recluse spiders tend to stay on the ground but I'm no expert.)

2 years ago I had a scary hobo type spider on my plant that rolled a leaf up into a cone with its web and hung out inside it. I don't know how beneficial it was as it only seemed to eat ladybugs.

Hobospiders have a nasty bite (I got bit on my ankle last summer and it swelled up pretty bad and hurt like a mf'er) but nothing like you see from a brown recluse which luckily we don't have here. ...and we don't have black widows which I'd imagine would be much more of a problem in hop plants. Anyone ever see black widows on their hops?

I live in black widow country - I doubt hop plants would be a common place to find the spiders. Generally they are abundant in places that are dark and dry for long periods of time. I find them under things left sitting in the yard for a long period. Inside my rat bait traps if I leave them undisturbed. In old boxes left sitting for a long period of time. Generally don't see them when I'm out gardening or just doing general activities around the yard.

gbx said:
...and we don't have black widows which I'd imagine would be much more of a problem in hop plants. Anyone ever see black widows on their hops?
Nah.. Black Widows aren't much for garden spiders. They like to make small sheltered nests in places like wood piles, cinder blocks, and inside especially and they rarely leave these webs. There are trillions of them here, I find them every few months in the house and yet I've only met one person to ever have been bit by one. And in his case it went in his mouth and bit his cheek while he slept. Sweet dreams. ;)

Edit: ^^ ahh he beat me

How do you bend rebar like that?

I think I never answered this. I bent the 3/8 stuff by putting a foot on the point where I wanted to bend and then gently pulled up on the end. I then moved my foot a little and pulled again and worked my way along until it formed the shape I wanted. Then I took the next one and did the same thing until it formed the same shape. It is much easier than you would think. I didnt have to bend the 1/2".

Here is mine. Planted about 5-6 weeks ago. Took off slowly but now starting to pick up. Way behind a lot of ya'lls but I guess they are only first year. We shall see! Looking forward to them bearing hops!!

image-475132315.jpg

image-1617115712.jpg

Here is my yard. Cascade in foreground and Willamette in the distance. These are year 2 and alread at 9 ft. Amazed at how fast they grow.

Here's a little update on my 3rd year plants. We had a late start to warm weather here in Chicago, so all of this is new growth in the last 2 weeks or so.

I really should have pulled out some rhizomes, but this year i still just let them do their thing. I've pulled out probably 100-200 bines just to keep these in control.

We got a ton of rain the last day or two, which is why the leaves have shifted to a light green.

Chinook won the race to the top of the 12' trellis. It's sticking straight up in the air asking, "now what?!"

image-2803001195.jpg

image-3112834236.jpg

Dang looper. Awesome here are mine. Also have 8 in ground that were planted last week. Still waiting for them.
And my trellis I'm making. Wife hasn't seen it yet...

image-4082535829.jpg

image-4026193478.jpg

Nice! I wish I had a huge yard like that to make an awesome setup! How long are you going to keep them in pots?

Make sure your soil is a good consistency before planting, with some compost, peat moss, and mulch to improve drainage and water retention.

Keep us posted!

Back