20 gal full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nothing scientific to offer, but it used to take me 25-30 minutes to chill 5 gallons when I first started and didn't get haze.

The current process takes less than 30 minutes to chill, aerate, and pitch yeast into 10-12 gallons split between two fermenters.

I rarely get chill haze. Perhaps you're not boiling long enough to break up the proteins.

What's the grain bill?

I would use 5 gallons or so of sanitary ICE to chill that monster.

Especially with extract you have some serious topping off options to hasten chilling.

I use no whirlfloc or moss and get CLEAR beer from quick chilling.

thanks for the replys

I've had a strange after taste with every batch no matter what recipe.Kinda like Long Trail.
The only common was water. So did a full boil this time and think it's gone.
I could do the ice but could it cause that taste again?

No more bottling for me, got 4 pinlocks From Midwest. Picking up my co2 today.
Could'nt pass up 30% off. Might want to bottle a few from the tap at some point. Got that 35Gal stainless pot for $150. It's nice but rusted. They sent me a 16 gal boil pot with temp gauge, false bottom, screen and spigot "FREE"
and let me keep the big one. Got lucky and was able to grind and polish out the rust and it did not come back. So you see I just had to invest in kegs.

Any advice on my first kegging?

thanks for the replys

I've had a strange after taste with every batch no matter what recipe.Kinda like Long Trail.
The only common was water. So did a full boil this time and think it's gone.
I could do the ice but could it cause that taste again?

No more bottling for me, got 4 pinlocks From Midwest. Picking up my co2 today.
Could'nt pass up 30% off. Might want to bottle a few from the tap at some point. Got that 35Gal stainless pot for $150. It's nice but rusted. They sent me a 16 gal boil pot with temp gauge, false bottom, screen and spigot "FREE"
and let me keep the big one. Got lucky and was able to grind and polish out the rust and it did not come back. So you see I just had to invest in kegs.

For a few batches I have bought bagged ice with no issue. I would try it. 20 gallon boil is awesome but a little insane.

Double check all your fittings. I lost 5lbs of CO2 due to a loose connection I didnt check.

I perfer to set and forget as opposed to burst carbing. You can get it carbed via burst in a cpl days but there is no subtitute for time when it comes to conditioning.

Back