2 Row "Only" Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauger

Reaction score
Quick question from those that have experimented. I was going to brew a variation of Ed's Haus Pale Ale, but forgot to order the Vienna Malt. Where I order from, shipping is a bit pricey, and ordering 2 lbs would cost 3 times in shipping what the cost of the grain would be. Not a big deal, but offends my sense of cheapness. Anyway, I have more than enough 2 row and was thinking of just brewing up a recipe like this:

Grains:

10.5 lbs 2 Row
1/2 lb Crystal 10L

Hops:

1 oz Cascade @ 60 Min
1/4 oz Centennial @ 30 Min
1/4 oz Centennial @ 15 Min
1/4 oz Centennial @ 5 Min.

The hop schedule has worked for me before and tasted rather good, so my main question is what could I expect to get out of a mostly 2 row only beer?

i just did an esb with toasted 2-row, roasted 5 lbs at 350 degrees(42 litre batch) for like 18 minutes,then let sit ou overnite. It was awesome!!!

i just did an esb with toasted 2-row, roasted 5 lbs at 350 degrees(42 litre batch) for like 18 minutes,then let sit ou overnite. It was awesome!!!

That sounds like a good idea....probably will try that. If you can, tell me more about roasting. Did you just spread 5 lbs out on a cookie sheet or two and put it in the oven? How burnt did it get? How does it affect taste/colour?

yup, just put it on two sheets and stir up every few minutes. It got a bit darker but not too much. It was just starting to pop and crack when i pulled it out. I cant say for sure how it changed that flavour, but its a bit roasty?

i think its important that you let it sit out uncovered overnite at least so it can degass like when you roast coffee....... i think. Ive bin gettin into roastin my oats when i do stouts too, adds a roasty mouthfeel

It won't have much malt character, but if that's a good or bad thing is personal preference I'd say.

Well I'm sold, probably will toast up some 2 row and try it out. The only thing I can think of is the 2 row I have is already milled and don't know how that will affect the toasting.

Thanks again for the idea.

Back