2 beers/1 mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egill23

Reaction score
Hi all! I am going to try and brew 2 stouts out of one grain bill. One imperial and one regular stout. I would like to know if anyone has tried this and if so, can you guide me through the process? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Make sure you split the sparge volume with the grain absorption only calculated into the first batch and the remaining total water split evenly.

Partigyling an imperial stout recipe is rather easy. First batch is essentially a no-sparge batch. This leaves behind a good deal of leftover wort in the mash for the sparge to run into a second stout that will probably be sitting around 4.5% (unless it's a really big first running or you get 80+% eff). No-sparge nets me about 45-50% efficiency, and another 30% is very doable on the partigyle's second running stout. Don't do a mashout. It's helpful to have the sparge continue converting during the time your boiling the first runnings, and I only do 2 runnings. The second runnings is sparged.

Latest posts

Back