2.5 Gallon eBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derick_Z

Reaction score
I currently use a pot on the stovetop to brew extract 5 gallon batches, but I may be getting a turkey fryer soon. I want to keep using the small pot I have (which, when filled to the brim, is a bit over 4 gallons), for indoor batches when the weather isn't so friendly. I think it'll be big enough for 2.5 gallon BIAB, but I'm not quite sure.

Unfortunately, however, my stove is pretty crappy, and can *barely* bring 2 gallons of water to a boil, so I want to put an element in it to use for either 2.5 gallon eBIAB or extract partial boils. What element should I use? I'm limited to 120v, and I think 1650watt should be enough, right?

Other than that, I don't need anything else because I'm not interested in automatic temperature control or anything. Would I be able to get a 120V dimmer switch to control the temperature of the element? Anything else I should know or be ready for?

Thanks,
Eric Jones

for such small batches and low wattage elements my opinion is "control" is optional / no needed. If you have 20 amp GFI available, use a 2000w and let er rip at 100% cheers!

Do you think the pot is big enough? Honestly I'm in way over my head here! I just think it would be pretty sweet to have.

Back