1st cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes909

Reaction score
I am trying my first cider today, just starting with Indian Summer store cider, adding pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient, along with Lavin EC-1118.

My question is about headspace when this thing starts fermenting. I'm used to brewing beer where I have a good bit of headspace for the krausen. Do ciders do this as well and I'll need to put it in a bigger container or can I ferment directly in the 1 gallon jug?

Cheers

You'll see a little foam when it gets started, no more than about an inch thick and usually only like 1/2 inch, and then after a couple of days the foam will often fall and the cider will just fizz and ferment the rest of the way without much foam. I ferment my ciders in the gallon jugs that they come in simply by removing a cup or two. That will leave enough space for the minimal foam that appears.

I am trying my first cider today, just starting with Indian Summer store cider, adding pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient, along with Lavin EC-1118.

My question is about headspace when this thing starts fermenting. I'm used to brewing beer where I have a good bit of headspace for the krausen. Do ciders do this as well and I'll need to put it in a bigger container or can I ferment directly in the 1 gallon jug?

Cheers
I use Indian Summer Cider all the time, I add sugar to up the OG but I have never used that yeast

With all that sead, I'm doing 4 gallon batches in a five gallon water jug, I would b afraid you would fill your air lock if you didn't pull some out of a gallon.

Granted I’m not sure how much head room the Indian cider gallons have to start, but I haven’t had a problem yet with whole foods brand and fermenting them in the jugs they come in without removing anything. Could be less headspace in your store’s gallons tho.

Depends on the yeast and the juice. With orchard cider and Nottingham, this...

15752956467_343a8b4a93_c.jpg

... becomes this...

15316457744_d86b48e35f_c.jpg

When I ferment the Costco/Kirkland juice in its own jug, I take out around 400ml, and that's cutting it really close. I use Nottingham yeast, which ferments rather vigorously on days 2 and 3 for me.

If this is the stuff you're using, and it really is clear like the photo, you won't need pectinase. You only need pectinase for cloudy juice.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00749TGB4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I am also making a cider for my second batch. I am using Kroger 100% apple juice. I also smashed up some real apples, threw them in there, a cinnamon stick and added some brown sugar (about a cup) and pitched EC-1118. Anyone have any advice with this type of yeast? It's been fermenting a week now.

Sorry I hope you dont mind me piggy backing off your thread but since we use the same yeast I thought we could benifit from others advice.

Latest posts

Back