1st attempt at creating a recipe. IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cncquinn

Reaction score
I have a bunch of nugget hops I grew this year. So I want to use them in a recipe. This is what I came up with and want to know if you think it's going to be too bitter.
9lbs light syrup
8oz caramel 30l
6oz carapils
2oz nugget. 60 min
11/2 cascade. Cascade and citra mixed and added at 20 and 15 min
11/2 citra

Dry hop
1/2 oz cascade
1/2 oz citra
1/2 oz nugget

Yeast
Safale 05

that will be extremely bitter.
tossing that into software, i'm getting over 130 IBUs
if you do
1oz nugget @60
.75 cascade and citra @10 and @5 or FO you'll get a bit under 70IBUs

depends how bitter you like your beer, but my rule of thumb for IPAs is never go over your gravity with IBUs, but i'm not a fan of overly bitter beer

so like 1.070, i'd never go over 70 IBUs... but thats my own personal tastes... some people LOVE beers that are VERY bittered

Each to his/her own I guess. Anything over 1.075 I'll go 100+ IBUS 1.080 I'll do 150-200. Low gravity though I do IBU/OG shooting for 0.9 or so. To me this recipe looks just fine!

YMMV of course,
Steve da sleeve

I was thinking 1/12 oz during the last during the boil may be a little much. Possibly dropping down to 1 oz of nugget and 1/2 oz of each maybe good. Leaving the dry hop as is

What I've noticed so far (made 7 so far) is that an equally hopped (I.e. 1 oz @ 60 mins, 1 oz at 20 mins, and 1 oz @ 5 mins) beer will be a bit bitter, and some have reminded me of Ranger.

But I've been gravitating more towards a West coast style where the flavor/aroma is much more pronounced, and bitter is mild.

My last one had no technical bittering addition as the earliest was at 30 mins, followed by 20, 10, and 5 mins. But it seemed to be lacking a proper bitterness.

My general rule is I'm going with an ibu:gravity ratio appropriate for the style. I can't recall what the upper end of an IPA is but my recollection is 1.2:1; meaning a 1.100 gravity would have a 120 ibu target. That said, and I'm sure someone or even new science opposes it, but the human tongue's ability to discern increasing bitterness ends at roughly 90 IBUs.

Happy Brewing.

Back