19 month Sour FG=1.016 emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmax

Reaction score
I used Roeselare yeast only.
OG 1.064
FG stabalized at a 10 month point and stayed at 1.016 for the past 9 months!
ABV 6.6% and the claimed tolerance is 11%

What do I do about bottling?
I don't have any champaign yeast. My plan was to let the bugs carb it up for however long they take, but now I'm afraid they may be dead.

I'm bottling now!
I have T-58, Windsor, and bread yeast.
I'll sprinkle some T-58 but what is with my FG? I need advice

I've never had a sour beer before and mine tastes acetic-sour. I'll see how drinkable it is when it's carbed up. It had some exposure to oxygen, but that's besides the subject of this thread

Don't bottle. That is my first bit of advice.

I would pitch an active starter of highly attenuative, acid tolerant yeast (3711 is my go to) to see if you can drop the gravity any more. There is the added benefit of not having to reyeast at bottling. If you are still stable after a few weeks, then it is what it is.

Unfortunately if it is acetic, not much you can do accept blend at this point. I had a rasberry sour that is ALMOST too acetic but not quite. Its like a strong flanders red! lol Acetic acid is usually caused from introduction of too much oxygen during lacto fermentation. Did you open and sample a lot and what did you ferment in?

the FG is a concern, but i wouldnt go blaming that all on the yeast. Could have been the recipe, or brew day mistake as well. Only way to get that down is to pitch some more yeast obvioulsy.

If you do add yeast, dont bottle now.

Either bottle now and live with the higher gravity, or don't bottle and add a secondary yeast.

1.016 is not that high for a big beer. Give it a taste and if you like it go ahead and bottle. If it is too malty, consider adding brett and letting go for another couple of months.

Did you open and sample a lot and what did you ferment in?
If you do add yeast, dont bottle now.

Well.. The thing was I moved to another house and left the carboys at my parents' place. The airlock got empty and then they knocked it off completely. lol I pretty much gave up on this beer. I've never had a sour so I can't tell how it's supposed to taste like. Mine tastes okay-ish, I'll try carbing it to see if it's any good.

The primary fermentation for this beer was explosive and then white stretchy filament thingys took over, so there were some bugs.

Today I sanitized everything, rehydrated and added T-58 about 3 gram in 8.5 gallons to make sure it carbs up. I reaaaally doubt a normal sacharomyces yeast can ferment it any further. At least I hope it carbs up now...
I'll probably report back in a month.

Well.. The thing was I moved to another house and left the carboys at my parents' place. The airlock got empty and then they knocked it off completely. lol I pretty much gave up on this beer. I've never had a sour so I can't tell how it's supposed to taste like. Mine tastes okay-ish, I'll try carbing it to see if it's any good.

The primary fermentation for this beer was explosive and then white stretchy filament thingys took over, so there were some bugs.

Today I sanitized everything, rehydrated and added T-58 about 3 gram in 8.5 gallons to make sure it carbs up. I reaaaally doubt a normal sacharomyces yeast can ferment it any further. At least I hope it carbs up now...
I'll probably report back in a month.

Yeah that sounds like problems from the start. I would go get a comercial sour too so you know what you are trying to make for sure. They are amazing.

If the top fell off, you got a TON of oxygen in there while is was fermenting and that will give you that acetic character for sure. Also, who knows what amount of wild yeast and bacteria so yeah, dont be too down if this doesnt come out and definitely dont give up on sours! lol they are not easy beers to make, and they are DEFINITELY not easy to make well. :mug:

Back