1 Gallon batch using just DME and hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcox85

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a 1 gallon batch, so would using some DME and some hops be an acceptable way to get a drinkable beer? Thanks in advance!

It has worked for me, I've tried it a few times with pilsen light DME and two types of hops. Just pick hops you think you really will like. I have been impressed that it does not lead to a beer that is thin or boring, mostly I assume due to the hop choice and amounts. I've used approx 2oz of hops for a 1gal batch. Mine have been between 6-7% ABV, I don't know if a lesser ABV might leave it thinner or such.

I agree with JJ. Twice I've done this in the past. A couple years back I had a 3 pound bag of light DME, Northern Brewer hops and a packet of nottingham (also no extra cash). Made 1.5 gallons. Came out not so bad, drinkable anyways.
But maybe 6 months back I got two 3.3 pound cans of coopers wheat LME the lhbs shop had half price, guess it was getting old. Made a 15$ extract brew. And the bottles are still sitting in my pantry. Not completely horrible but it is certainly taking its time to mellow out. I'd say spend a tad more and make a recipe with it.
There is only one way to find out tho. I am sure most beginning brewers do this.

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I have 1lb of Briess DME and some UK Challenger, Mt Hood, and Cascade hops, with some SafAle 5.0 yeast. I don't have a lhbs so I order most of my stuff online and I don't want to wait the week or two for my next grains shipment to come haha so I'm hoping this will work. Fingers crossed!

I was going to say that they call the single hop-single malt a "SMASH" beer. Good way to learn what malts do what with what hop(s).

One of my favorite go-to brews that makes the rounds in my fermenters on a regular basis is made with just DME and hops. My 1 gallon batch was 1.3lbs sparkling amber DME, .4oz of Mt. Hood for 60 minutes and .1oz of Amarillo hops at 5 minutes before flameout. Makes a big, juicy, flavorful pale ale.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs7ntKQrMf4[/ame]

Yes I found the link to the Basic Brewing guys video here, they did a pretty good job here, pretty simple concept!

It is very close to a SHaSH, but it isn't, therefore it is called ...

dun dun dun
Before SMaSH there is SHaME
SHaME (Single Hop and Malt Extract) </tonguefirmlyincheak>

On a more serious note, the SMaSH Pale Ale by Northern Brewer is just LME and Simcoe, and it was excellent when I made it earlier this year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back