1 cascade, 60 bines (mac pic trouble)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
SORRY FOR THE NO PICS.

My new Mac laptop that I love seems unable to load photos 1 at a time, and unable to upload to photobucket.....but I digress.

My 3rd year Cascade has 60+ 2 inch shoots coming up, all within 1 square foot or so.

I plan to grow 6 bines up 3 different angles.

Common wisdom seems to suggest that I should clip ALL of these off and wait for some "hardier" new sprouts....

Couldn't I just choose the 6 best looking ones now?

Why waste this growth?

(60!!!!!!!! no joke!)

I believe you, my Cascade does the same thing.
cascade_forest.jpg

Unlike the Nuggett that puts up shoots 4-5 feet away. Hop farms cut the initial growth for several reasons, one of them being to have more a more uniform harvest throughout the field. Wait until you have shoots 3-4" tall, harvest most of them and cook like asparagus. Or pickle them.

I would wait until they are about a foot tall. the you can decide which six your going to keep then cut the rest back.

My second-year cascades (and chinook) are sprouting now. A dozen or so sprouts each. I plan to let them go for a week or so when they're maybe a foot tall and then cull down to 4 bines per plant. If they weren't growing in containers, I might leave 6 or 8 per plant.

Pickled hops shoots
or harvest them and strip leaves and steam like asparagus

Thanks, guess I will take the pick of the litter rather than cutting them all and taking the pick of the 2nds.

Back