1.21 FG on Belgian Strong Ale in 2ndary...repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OG 1.75, now I am stuck right fore the finish line and thinking of a small re-pitch with some leftover dry yeast. I transferred to a seconary already (which may have been unwise). Have read that very hard to get gravity down in secondary carboy. Hydrometer says 1.2 but it tastes very sweet. Any suggestions? Please help!

Normal format for gravity would be 1.075 and 1.021 (just fyi :)) 1.75 would be kinda insane.

If it really is that sweet then pitching more yeast might not be a bad idea, but 1.02 doesn't seem *that* high for a strong ale. What is your expected FG?

JRO238, thanks for your reply. FG is supposed to be 1.01. It's of kit from a Belgian Company called Brewferm (the "Grand Cru" kit). I put in a healthy dose of Belgian candi sugar as per the instructions. 10 days in primary, temp about 68F. From the sample I can tell it has potential (nice aroma, spicy, malty). It's just too sweet. I have 1/2 a satchet of English ale yeast I will throw in tonight...hopefully will do the trick.

Yeah, in that case definitely not done.

You can always warm it up to about 70 degrees F and give it a good swirl to re-suspend some of the yeast. This will sometimes restart fermentation. If not then pitching some new yeast is a good idea. Sounds like it will be a good beer. :mug:

Ten days. Vigorous ferment the first few days then puttered out to no activity during the last few days. I have it in a wine cooler with an effective temp range of 63-67F. I suspect this was too low and the source of the problem.

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up doing the repitch, more likely just being a busybody than anything else. A little bit more airlock activity today, keeping my fingers crossed. Got it out of the wine chiller, weather here in Singapore has been cooperating too (rainy season starting). Here she is in the 12.5 liter jury rigged carboy.

image-1928596694.jpg

Latest posts

Back