1/2 Gallon canning jar HOP BACK and RANDALL from Jaybird

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys been working on this for a little while and it's now ready for purchase. Had to do a few little tests and minor changes, but they are done and it's ready to ship.

The history of this part. Had a customer come in the store and ask me if I can develop a ho back for use with a canning jar type of system that will work like the Blingmann Hop Rocket but not cost $200. So I went to work with a few design ideas and prototypes. We showcased this at the last home brew club meeting and it was very well received. I think its a slam dunk and am very proud to show you guys.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Wide-Mouth-Canning-Jar-Hop-Filter.html

And for those of you that do not have a 1/2 gallon jar on hand we hat the KIT with the jar.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Canning-Jar-Hop-Filter-Kit-64-Ounce.html

Cheers
Jay

3022-Wide-Mouth-Canning-Jar-Hop-Filter-Closeup.jpg

3022-Wide-Mouth-Canning-Jar-Hop-Filter #1.jpg

3030-Wide-Mouth-Canning-Jar-Hop-Filter-Assembled.jpg

@jaybird
Small typo on the site I think:
" Slightly longer nipple on top of the lid is “liquid out” side."
"Liquid exits through the slightly shorter “out” port nipple of the canning jar through the diagonal-cut short dip tube"

@jaybird
Small typo on the site I think:
" Slightly longer nipple on top of the lid is “liquid out” side."
"Liquid exits through the slightly shorter “out” port nipple of the canning jar through the diagonal-cut short dip tube"

I hear ya. I'll make a few wording changes.. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers
Jay

is there anyway possible to see a video of this in action? m I am interested, but I just don't understand it.

Awesome! And looks like this is related to your blowoff lid design, and could literally double as the middle part of a blowoff / burton union ....?
Thumbs up for multipurpose and creative design!

I'm trying very hard not to like this stuff.

Can I just cut the dip tube to use smaller jars, as long as they have the wide mouth lid, right?

Awesome! And looks like this is related to your blowoff lid design, and could literally double as the middle part of a blowoff / burton union ....?
Thumbs up for multipurpose and creative design!

ABSOLUTELY! So the idea was a multi purpose lid/filter Here is a little list of what its design was created for.

Hop Back
Randall
Blow off system
Thumper for potstill
Gin basket

I am sure there are MANY other uses but this is what we were thinking when it was designed.

Cheers
Jay

What kind of pressure can those jars handle? Can I pump hot wort through this think on way to a plate chiller or gravity only?

Do you turn it upside down to get the last half gallon out of the hop back?

What kind of pressure can those jars handle? Can I pump hot wort through this think on way to a plate chiller or gravity only?

Do you turn it upside down to get the last half gallon out of the hop back?

Shouldn't ever really be under pressure. They can handle a bunch of flow. I hooked it up to my shop sink and ran it at full flow just to see what flow it can handle. Ran like a champ and water was flowing through the hop bed at probably 8+ gallons a min. So I guess there was some pressure there.

Yes turning it upside down is how you can get the last liquid out.

Cheers
Jay

That is sweet! Any chance you'd consider extending the free shipping to new years day? I think a lot of us are just waiting to get some Christmas cash to throw at you.

That is sweet! Any chance you'd consider extending the free shipping to new years day? I think a lot of us are just waiting to get some Christmas cash to throw at you.

ABSOLUTELY! DONE DEAL! Jan 1 2017 it is.

We just finished up the Ball lock mason jar FULL RANDALL!

I'll be tossing up some picts shortly. IT IS SLICK!

Cheers
Jay

Here is the full on 1/2 gallon canning jar Randall picts! Just got this done today. Loving the way this stuff is turning out.. I LOVE that if you want to use a quart jar instead of half gallon all you need to do is cut the tube!

Did a "HOPS" test today and in the 1/2 gallon you can fit well over 5+ oz of hops in there.....

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Canning-Jar-Hop-Randall-Complete-Kit.html

Cheers
Jay

Randall1.jpg

Randall2.jpg

randall3.jpg

randall4.jpg

ABSOLUTELY! DONE DEAL! Jan 1 2017 it is.

We just finished up the Ball lock mason jar FULL RANDALL!

I'll be tossing up some picts shortly. IT IS SLICK!

Cheers
Jay

Thank you! That thing is super sweet, shut up and take my money!

Last edited:
I'd like to use this for dry-hopping with a keg, but would like to use pellet as well as whole leaf hops. Would it be possible to add a 2nd filter disc with 500 micron or other mesh finer than currently provided for this application? I'm envisioning a disc with a cutout for the inlet tube that could slide up under the current filter screen. The alternative might be to use as is with a small amount of leaf hops to help the filtering.

I really want this but am trying to understand if it will work with my current process which relies heavily on pellet hops. Please bear with long question.

I recirculate my boil kettle during last 10 minutes of boil to sanitize my pump/lines and immersion chiller. Normally there is a pellet hop and whirlfloc addition at 10 minutes. At flameout I start the IC and drop kettle temperature to about 190 and then turn off IC and add whirlpool hops which could be 6-12 oz in a 10 gallon IPA (I might have as much as 16 oz pellet hops in some beers but usually closer to 8 in the kettle. I then recirculate with no flame for 30 minutes or so, then turn on the IC and chill. I keep pumping for a bit after removing the IC and may let the kettle settle for a few minutes but probably half my trub and kettle hops ends up in the fermentor.

What I imaging I would like to do with this hopback is replace a portion of my whirlpool addition with leaf hops in the hopback and recirculate through the hopback during the whirlpool and chilling cycle. I am imagining I will get good use of the leaf hops and that they would form a filter bed to remove the kettle hops and some trub from the kettle.

Or would it plug almost instantly and leave me with a horrible mess? I guess what I am asking is are hop backs really only meant for people that use plate chillers.

I'd like to use this for dry-hopping with a keg, but would like to use pellet as well as whole leaf hops. Would it be possible to add a 2nd filter disc with 500 micron or other mesh finer than currently provided for this application? I'm envisioning a disc with a cutout for the inlet tube that could slide up under the current filter screen. The alternative might be to use as is with a small amount of leaf hops to help the filtering.

I am doing a Pellet/Whole hops test today. Using a couple OZ of pellet under a couple OZ of whole and see how well it filters. I have a feeling its going to filter about 100% of the hops. We will see. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
Jay

I really want this but am trying to understand if it will work with my current process which relies heavily on pellet hops. Please bear with long question.

I recirculate my boil kettle during last 10 minutes of boil to sanitize my pump/lines and immersion chiller. Normally there is a pellet hop and whirlfloc addition at 10 minutes. At flameout I start the IC and drop kettle temperature to about 190 and then turn off IC and add whirlpool hops which could be 6-12 oz in a 10 gallon IPA (I might have as much as 16 oz pellet hops in some beers but usually closer to 8 in the kettle. I then recirculate with no flame for 30 minutes or so, then turn on the IC and chill. I keep pumping for a bit after removing the IC and may let the kettle settle for a few minutes but probably half my trub and kettle hops ends up in the fermentor.

What I imaging I would like to do with this hopback is replace a portion of my whirlpool addition with leaf hops in the hopback and recirculate through the hopback during the whirlpool and chilling cycle. I am imagining I will get good use of the leaf hops and that they would form a filter bed to remove the kettle hops and some trub from the kettle.

Or would it plug almost instantly and leave me with a horrible mess? I guess what I am asking is are hop backs really only meant for people that use plate chillers.

Great questions!

Hop backs are not ONLY for people who use plate chillers at all. I have been using a grant/hop back for 12+ years and I JUST started using a plate chiller about 6 months ago or so.

I think a hop back is exactly what you need for filtering. Using whole hops as the filter is exactly their design. Either that or a False Bottom in your boil kettle. Now I am not sure and really have no way of knowing if you will plug it up with a slug of pellets as I don't know what the absolute limits are or how much your going to run in there. I have crammed 6 oz of hops in this and ran water through it at full flow and it never budged or slowed at all. I am doing a pellet hops run today to see how that works with boiling hot water. I will keep you posted for sure.

Cheers
Jay

Great questions!

Hop backs are not ONLY for people who use plate chillers at all. I have been using a grant/hop back for 12+ years and I JUST started using a plate chiller about 6 months ago or so.

I think a hop back is exactly what you need for filtering. Using whole hops as the filter is exactly their design. Either that or a False Bottom in your boil kettle. Now I am not sure and really have no way of knowing if you will plug it up with a slug of pellets as I don't know what the absolute limits are or how much your going to run in there. I have crammed 6 oz of hops in this and ran water through it at full flow and it never budged or slowed at all. I am doing a pellet hops run today to see how that works with boiling hot water. I will keep you posted for sure.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks looking forward to the results!
I also noticed you have better selection of leaf hops than just about anybody so solved my other problem...

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Pre-Order-Sale-Items-NorCal-Brewing-Solutions.html

Just put the "Randall" with the ball locks as a "pre order" We are out of 1 component and wont have them for several days. So if you want to get your orders in they will ship as soon as the component gets here.

Cheers
Jay

I didn't see the order for the ball locks when I bought mine, think I would have gone that route if I saw it.

How were the ball locks disconnects attached to the tubes coming out? Do you have a thread piece coming out on those, or is there a threaded sleeve to put on?

I'm not sure if it's just me, but navigating your site seems to be difficult...especially when I'm looking for your manufactured stuff. It's like going to a restaurant and you get hit with 204 different dishes that they serve. Just seems cluttered and difficult to me. Please, no offense meant...but I've thought this several times and figured I tell you.

Merry Christmas

Ok so I just got done doing a whole/pellet hops test. I used 3 oz of pellet hops and 3 oz of whole hops. The filter does have its limitations. It filtered them VERY well but the flow started to decrease after about 10 min. It pushed the pellet hops up to the whole hops and caused a little flow restriction. I am going to add upper holes to the inlet tubes to see if that helps keep things moving around.

The Hop Back using all whole hops worked amazing! As it did for the Randall. But I am bound to get this to work with at least SOME pellet hops.

More to come.

Cheers
Jay

Ok so I just got done doing a whole/pellet hops test. I used 3 oz of pellet hops and 3 oz of whole hops. The filter does have its limitations. It filtered them VERY well but the flow started to decrease after about 10 min. It pushed the pellet hops up to the whole hops and caused a little flow restriction. I am going to add upper holes to the inlet tubes to see if that helps keep things moving around.

The Hop Back using all whole hops worked amazing! As it did for the Randall. But I am bound to get this to work with at least SOME pellet hops.

More to come.

Cheers
Jay

Are you starting with the pellet hops in the kettle or in the hop back?

Back