08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout Exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as for bottle breaking, how are you guys packing these??? NONE of the bottles should be breaking unless they are heavily mistreated during shipping.

Yep, I get regular shipments from Belgium packed with just thin foam sheets and have not a had a break yet. Bubble wrap should never have a problem.

KD

My roommate has been watching the FEX/UPS guys lately. Turns out they've been throwing the boxes over my fence from their truck, about 20 minimum feet. As in leaning out and chucking it as hard as they can. I had to chuckle. :)

I packed mine using an amalgamation of bubble wrap and Apple shipping foam from non-returnable parts. Ain't *no* way mine were breaking unless they were straight-up run over by a forklift. And even then, they were packed so tightly that it'd have to be a *heavy* forklift.

Re: saving money, I started pondering this and assuming $40.00 to ship, receiving 3 packages with 4 beers each, it comes out to trading $3.50 in ship costs for each beer you receive. If any sender included extras, that trade cost goes down. I know, I know, that's ASSUMING you receive all your beers. But in *theory*, each and every person should. In theory.

(Note, you're "trading costs", not "buying".)

Got yuri's beers a while ago, and I was worried when I saw that they were coming USPS...I got even more worried when I saw the very small box that they were in...Then I opened it. That tricky fellow shipped 'em in aluminum bottles. He so smart....

Two weeks to go baby. I'm thinking the opening cermonies will be long enough to let me get through two bottles. (Though an RIS might be better suited for the winter olympics...) :D

Aluminum bottles or not, I don't think I'm going to use USPS any more. I thought it was a good idea, but it's just not worth the risk of getting caught.

I was surprised to see the box and took a few seconds to give it the "postal inspector" shake...not a hint of the contents were audible. I really liked the alum bottles and think they make great sense for swaps and the like.

Aluminum bottles or not, I don't think I'm going to use USPS any more. I thought it was a good idea, but it's just not worth the risk of getting caught.

Aside from not driving on weekends... I love UPS.

Print the labels at work...drop off the boxes on the way home. No need to "interface" with anybody...just drop the boxes and go.

ok, i'm going to take people up on their offers to send me some brew. i haven't heard back from my other two people. i have some of my own left to drink on 08/08/08 and BSs as well but i really feel kinda screwed that i can't taste some more.

i feel like an ass takin beers from people that don't really owe them to me, but i also want to participate in the 09/09/09 and other swaps and i don't want a couple of slackers discouraging me from participating in swaps in the future.

i know it was probably extraneous circumstances, but i still feel a little cheated.

so thanks to the fine people that offered to send me a beer. i want to taste some of these other variations. i'll reply to youz guys PMs. if you still feel it in your heart to forward me some roasty goodness, i'd be much obliged.

Anyone else who ONLY received beer from ONE recipient? Time to fire up the brigade.

Tonight I'm sipping from a bomber of Stone RIS and looking forward to next Friday! Another brewer started working at the office recently and I think we're going to share some brews/meads with the co-workers on the 8th as well. Hopefully I can still squeeze in a brew that evening after sampling a few and driving home...

I've saved plenty of my 08-08-08 and can share some with those who were shorted if necessary. We need to get it going quickly though!

Everyone cool out. It looks bleak and all, but there is still a chance that some will come through. Wait until the deadline. We need to hear from the fat lady.

We'll do all that we can to make everyone whole.

Anyone else who ONLY received beer from ONE recipient? Time to fire up the brigade.

Yep. Must be my punishment for sending out so late. Rhoobarb said he was sending his late and I haven't heard anything from Landhoney in months.

I just couldn't wait... and...

My 08-08-08 is terribly over-carbed. Sorry for those who'll be tasting it tomorrow...

Happy 888!

I didn't sign up to swap, but I will be sitting down with a couple of mine tonight. Centi Anni!

Yeah, I only got shipments from 2 myself, but I'm not bothered by it considering my batch went bad so all I can send out is commercial stuff....(which I haven't done. :( ). Moving sorta strapped me so dropping $50 on beer and another $40 on shipping isn't fitting in the finance book right now. Rest assured my 3 people will receive their assortment of top quality brews at some point.

I will take care to give reviews on the two peeps I did receive brews from though.

...Don't lynch me... :eek:

Today is the day! I really have enjoyed this and it is hard to put into words how cool it feels to know everyone will be enjoying 8-8-8 tonight/today. Thanks to everyone for all their work, support and participation. This day has been a long time in coming, but finally I get to see what you have created. Very cool! Enjoy the day!

Just for kicks I am waiting until 8:08.08 pm to start sampling. It seems appropriate somehow!

-Tom

Happy Birthday TerapinChef!!!!!!

I'll be thinking of all of you guys tonight at 8:08pm.... I won't be sampling tonight, though, I'm stuck in central Iowa for a wedding. Ick. :(

But I will be sampling on Sunday!

Today is the day! I really have enjoyed this and it is hard to put into words how cool it feels to know everyone will be enjoying 8-8-8 tonight/today. Thanks to everyone for all their work, support and participation. This day has been a long time in coming, but finally I get to see what you have created. Very cool! Enjoy the day!

Just for kicks I am waiting until 8:08.08 pm to start sampling. It seems appropriate somehow!

-Tom

The recipe is a masterpiece.

Well, I haven't started the official thread but these beers are going INTERNATIONAL!!!'

I am taking 888 bottles from Chriso, Professor Frink, CBBaron and myself to the UK next week where they will be evaluated by Orfy.

Cross your finger that my packaging holds up and I can get them by Customs.

/fingers officially crossed. i've thought about trying to ship orfy some brews when we started the SMaSH stuff.

this is awesomeness. i'm going to brew another version of this recipe using fuggle for bittering, a slightly different grain bill (i'd prefer a little less roast as it ages, even though it is mighty tasty!) and it's going to be a higher ABV.

i'm going to drink beers sent by EvilTOJ and Chriso while i brew...i found the 08/08/08 and several other suprises in the boxes! thanks again guys...I can't wait to try them! Brewsmith's beer will have to wait, i forgot to put it in the fridge. oh wells, i have to work tomorrow anyway :D

...Just for kicks I am waiting until 8:08.08 pm to start sampling. It seems appropriate somehow!

-Tom

Tom, your beers arrived first so I'm going to crack your standard 888 at 888 as well. Problem is...I'm brewing tonight (just another blonde) so I'll have to sip slowly and make it last. ;)

I will have the Olympics on tv in the brewshop.

Cheers everyone and here's to a successful project. :mug:

Well, I haven't started the official thread but these beers are going INTERNATIONAL!!!'

I am taking 888 bottles from Chriso, Professor Frink, CBBaron and myself to the UK next week where they will be evaluated by Orfy.

Cross your finger that my packaging holds up and I can get them by Customs.

Wow my beer is now being exported!!!!!

I hope both you and Orfy enjoy all of the beers.
I sampled one of my own last night so I could try atleast two others this evening. I think the beer from Brewpastor has to be the first official 08-08-08 that I taste. :rockin:

I have already really enjoyed this beer and swap, I hope everyone else also does.

Craig

So I am pretty late to the party, but is this the recipe you guys brewed (or some variation off of this recipe)? I would like to do a RIS, and thought I would do the recipe you guys did so I could feel like I was a part of the group.

8-8-8 Russian Imperial Stout 5 gallon recipe

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines

13-F Stout, Russian Imperial Stout
Min OG: 1.075 Max OG: 1.114
Min IBU: 50 Max IBU: 100
Min Clr: 30 Max Clr: 48 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 17.40
Anticipated OG: 1.08851 Plato: 21.230
Anticipated SRM: 57.6
Anticipated IBU: 82.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts

Evaporation Rate: 12.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.68 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.07789 SG 18.85 Plato

Formulas Used

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM

76.6 13.33 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
7.2 1.25 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.02800 450
5.7 1.00 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.03000 120
1.9 0.33 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.03300 120
1.9 0.33 lbs. Crystal 75L Great Britian 1.03400 75
1.9 0.33 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.03300 75
1.9 0.33 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.02900 350
2.9 0.50 lbs. Chocolate malt light Great Britain 1.03600 200
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

1.50 oz. Horizon Pellet 12.69 78.6 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 3.9 10 min.
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule

Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 17.40
Water Qts: 27.30 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 6.82 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.57 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 8.22 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

that's it! brew it and let it age for 8 months. you won't regret it.

oh, btw...i forgot my recipe when i went to the store to buy the ingredients and ended up buying 22 lbs of malt. this is gonna be quite the beer tonight!

Oh yea, deathbrewer, I forgot to tell you I mailed you those beers! :D I'll be drinking one when I get back home about 3 hours from now, I can't wait.

i got 'em. i'm going to open in about an hour. thanks again :rockin:

just worked out my new recipe that i'm brewing tonight. ended up too dark...i shouldn't have added the carafa...oops, oh well:

RIS 080808

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-F Stout, Russian Imperial Stout

Min OG: 1.075 Max OG: 1.114
Min IBU: 50 Max IBU: 100
Min Clr: 30 Max Clr: 48 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 21.13
Anticipated OG: 1.099 Plato: 23.46
Anticipated SRM: 59.2
Anticipated IBU: 82.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.084 SG 20.19 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
80.5 17.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
4.7 1.00 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
3.6 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
3.6 0.75 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
2.4 0.50 lbs. Carafa II Germany 1.030 450
1.8 0.38 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
1.8 0.38 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
1.8 0.38 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.75 77.8 60 min.
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 4.9 10 min.
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
Nottingham Yeast Cake

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 21.13
Water Qts: 28.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 7.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.33 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 8.69 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

paulthenurse needs to post a thread for his 8-8-8s. I just cracked open my first one and it is a really great beer. I must post reviews before I drink too much!! :D :tank:

After tasting this, I'm very sad that mine went bad. Great recipe, Brewpastor!! :rockin:

olllllo, many thanks!!!! I can't believe my beers are already making it "over the pond"! Can't wait for the pics... are you going to get one with the BierMuncher salute?!?! :D

Happy 8th everyone!!!

(Did you know that there's a 6% Alcohol cap for beers in Iowa? I didn't. I should've brought my spare bottles of Old Rasputin with me. It was quite the shock when I went to the liquor store, only to find a sad lack of Imperial Stouts!!! So I'm drinking Guinness tonight....... But SWMBO's out with the girls, so I'm holding down the fort at the hotel, hoorah for HBT and beer!)

I just spent 45 minutes sipping the Pastors RIS whilst finishing up a batch of Centennial Blonde downstairs. Un freaking believable and surprisingly...extremely close to my batch.

Awesomeness. I'm a bit tired and trying to get a little druck right now so I'll wait till tomorrow to post up a proper review under BP's critique thread.

And yes...I popped the cap at 8:08 PM. :D

Latest posts

Back