08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout Exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewpastor said:
and 1 bottle with Vinnie's house culture chips added in a secondary resulting in a belgian imperial stout.

What's this one like; FG, taste, method(chips straight into secondary?), etc.? Bottled after only ~3 months?

I never took a final gravity, I just added the chip into the secondary and let them sit. It got nice and scummy and then everything dropped away and cleared up.

The flavor is tart, with earthy tones underneath. It has a bit of roast character, but the character of the bugs dominates.

Brewpastor said:
I never took a final gravity, I just added the chip into the secondary and let them sit. It got nice and scummy and then everything dropped away and cleared up.

How long from adding them till it cleared up? That is really fast.
I hope those receiving these bottles give a full report. I've been wanting to do a bug/brett RIS for a while, but thought it would end up too dry without intervention. My friend crash cooled his Brett RIS, gelatin fined, then hit with Camden Tablets to kill the Brett, then racked and added yeast to bottle condition. The idea is getting the Brett character in(ala' Courage RIS) without it drying out the beer too much for a RIS. A dificult proposition.

Brewpastor said:
Mine are likewise packaged. Mine contain two bottles of 888, 1 bottle of 888 with raspberries, and 1 bottle with Vinnie's house culture chips added in a secondary resulting in a belgian imperial stout.

They will be taken to UPS in the morning.
Wow :D
That sounds incredible. I can't believe I am one of the lucky few that gets to experience the creators brews. I am honored.

I will do my best to report on the beers but I am really not worthy.

:mug:

Thanks

Craig

landhoney said:
How long from adding them till it cleared up? That is really fast.
I hope those receiving these bottles give a full report. I've been wanting to do a bug/brett RIS for a while, but thought it would end up too dry without intervention.

Speaking of Brett RIS, I updated with pictures, and need course of action: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54760 I would've reposted it here but didn't want to veer completely OT, since I already had a seperate thread to toss it in. :D

Anyone hear from Warped04? I sent a few PMs and the beer but haven't heard a peep from him and see that his last post date was back in Feb.

I heard from him on 03-03-2008, 02:05 PM by way of PM. I don't have any other info right now, sorry. I hope he pops in so we know he's all right.

brewt00l said:
Anyone hear from Warped04? I sent a few PMs and the beer but haven't heard a peep from him and see that his last post date was back in Feb.
He had me (so to speak) back during the November swap.

It took a long time, but he eventually came around and delivered.

[EDIT] just looked back and turns out I was backwards...I had him for the Secret Santa. SO I can't speak for his record on sending beer....

I have received my first shipment from Poindexter. I can't say enough about the wax topped bottles and the thoughtful packaging. Class act!

Thanks
KD

BierMuncher said:
He had me (so to speak) back during the November swap.

It took a long time, but he eventually came around and delivered.

[EDIT] just looked back and turns out I was backwards...I had him for the Secret Santa. SO I can't speak for his record on sending beer....

I sent bottles to him and would like to make sure that the beer arrived safe and sound.

chriso said:
I hope he pops in so we know he's all right.

'Zatcly

brewt00l said:
I sent bottles to him and would like to make sure that the beer arrived safe and sound.

If that's the case, I'd imagine that Scubasteve, McKBrew and Terapinchef are really eager the hear from him since they are recipients...:D

Sorry guys, I'm a slacker...

I have 2 12oz of 888 RIS, 1 12oz of Old Ale and 1 12oz of Wee Heavy set aside for PseudoChef, CBBaron and bluechip101. At first I wasn't sure the Old Ale would be worth sharing, and then... well I'm just a slacker.

I'd hoped to send them out yesterday, but... you know the story. They will all go out on 4/28.

Trencher said:

I have 2 12oz of 888 RIS, 1 12oz of Old Ale and 1 12oz of Wee Heavy set aside for PseudoChef, CBBaron and bluechip101. At first I wasn't sure the Old Ale would be worth sharing, and then... well I'm just a slacker.

I'd hoped to send them out yesterday, but... you know the story. They will all go out on 4/28.

Awesome! I look forward to it!

No need to hurry, just making sure you were still alive :)

Trencher said:

Sounds great.
Thanks for letting us know. I was also getting a little concerned.

Thanks
Craig

Mine is still in the carboy, as I have to do bottle inventory and already have to bottle two different batches. I will get them shipped out by the 30th though.

An update if your name is Trencher, Biermuncher, or Shunoshi.... I will be shipping out just shortly after May 1st (Payday). Sorry if it's a bit later, but you will get your RIS.

Just an update for my guys- Warped04, Evets, and Flowerysong....I'll hopefully be bottling and sending this weekend. Been working 80 hour weeks lately, on a night shift schedule.....totally sucks for meeting daytime commitments...like, you know...swapping beer and stuff...:D

I have all my packing materials and am wrapping bottles..... I'm just waiting on my delivery of free boxes. I get paid this week, so my recipients should be having boxes shipped 1st thing on Monday, and should be receiving them mid-week. :D

chriso said:
I have all my packing materials and am wrapping bottles..... I'm just waiting on my delivery of free boxes. I get paid this week, so my recipients should be having boxes shipped 1st thing on Monday, and should be receiving them mid-week. :D

Dude...how'd you get free boxes?

Biermuncher's tip : http://ebaysupplies.usps.com/

Need an active eBay account..... but that's not a big deal. Free, you pick the size, you pick the quantity. Then take a big black Sharpie to them, black over the logos, and ship it by FedEx/DHL/UPS/Etc.

chriso said:
Biermuncher's tip : http://ebaysupplies.usps.com/

Need an active eBay account..... but that's not a big deal. Free, you pick the size, you pick the quantity. Then take a big black Sharpie to them, black over the logos, and ship it by FedEx/DHL/UPS/Etc.
I ordered the 8x12x12 and they're a perfect size.

I've even stopped worrying about blacking out the logos. UPS (at least) doesn't care. I'd think they find it kind of amusing.

Well, my RIS is going to hit the bottles tonight and I'll probably be shipping Monday. Since I've bulk conditioned this for a solid 4 months now, I'm a tad fearful that there won't be any yeast to carbonate. I've never added yeast back in for bottling before. I have a packet of Nottingham in the fridge though; will that work alright? Just rehydrate and mix in the bottling bucket?

So, Rhoobarb, Yuri_Rage, and ScubaSteve, keep an eye out. Bombers will be on the way.

A number of you have already done so.... The rest of you, PLEASE go to the Sampling & Critique subforum, and make a new topic.

Name it "RIS Swap ~ *yourname*'s Beers"

Inside, please put (at a minimum) how many beers you shipped, what kind of beers they were, and who you sent them to.

Anything else (recipes, links, etc) is all voluntary.

Here's mine, I just posted it.

For anyone worried about warped04, he's back online. He took a brief hiatus due to internets and job and house problems, but is here again.

And BierMuncher, I got the beers but the Russian mail order bride I thought you were going to include is missing.

I'm running a bit behind here and am trying to get these things wrapped up and ready to ship. Without going overboard, how well packaged do these need to be. Will a couple of layers of regular bubble wrap around each bottle, then another layer around both be enough cushioning?

I'm sending two 22oz bottles and want to make sure I don't jack it up.

Alright guys.....Torpedo Awaaaaaay!!!!! Finally got my stuff in the mail today! Flowerysong, Warped04, and Evets: Sit on your front porch for a few days :D I apologize for the ghetto duct tape labels, but hey...it's my first time bottling anything in a looong time. I'm just praying the carbonation stays; I used the BMBF for the first time so I hope I did it right ;)

I'm a bit worried that all of my packages were scheduled to have arrived by yesterday and I haven't heard from any of the recipients. Nor have I heard from anyone shipping to me....

I've gotten mine from korndog and TerapinChef and have sampled both during last Saturday's brew session. Just have to sit down and write my reviews. Don't worry; all were tasty!

Mine will be shipped soon. My 888 is just finishing primary fermentation!:drunk:

I'm delaying mine intentionally. The carbonation is coming on very slowly. It's significantly more carbonated today than the last time I tried it about a month ago, but it needs more time. To prevent early sampling, I'll be sending them late (certainly in time for 8/8/8). Expect a nice gift to be sent along as a sort of apology (Central Market has some OUTSTANDING beers for sale).

Back