"Zero" minutes of hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellaruche

Reaction score
So, it's not in the boil. It's not in the secondary. Where does this part of the equation fit? Thanks for the translation...:p

so they stay in there for 10-15 minutes while you cool the wort down and then transfer to primary?

TrubDog said:
so they stay in there for 10-15 minutes while you cool the wort down and then transfer to primary?

Yep. Like sprinkling fresh basil on a hot pizza.

I typically allow a 20 minute stand after the boil before I start chillling.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Home Brew Talk

Wouldn't a 20 minute stand at near boiling temps be pretty much the same as a 20 minute addition? Seems to me that the whole point of putting them in a 0 minutes is so they don't add any bitterness and only aroma to the wort. I always put them in at flameout and then immediately start chilling so as the wort cools enough not to cause bitterness.

You add the hops when you turn the burner off and let them soak a bit, I use a pump to whirlpool for 20 minutes before chilling, I love the results!

Another hop oddity is the FWH addition (First Wort Hop) this is when the hops are added to the boil kettle before beginning the boil, usually when collectiong the wort from the grain in an All Grain batch.

chumpsteak said:
Wouldn't a 20 minute stand at near boiling temps be pretty much the same as a 20 minute addition? Seems to me that the whole point of putting them in a 0 minutes is so they don't add any bitterness and only aroma to the wort. I always put them in at flameout and then immediately start chilling so as the wort cools enough not to cause bitterness.

Both are techniques a brewer can use. Zero minute hops in the brewing industry often refer to "whirlpool" hops, which will sit in hot (not boiling) wort for a while before going through the heat exchanger. My 20 minute stand is based off advice I've received from professional brewers on how to duplicate the whirlpool method with smaller wort volumes.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Home Brew Talk

I get even better aroma by adding the flameout addition after the wort has cooled to 170-180f, add hops and continue cooling. I make sure they sit in there for at least 20 min, after smelling the aroma you will never do another 5 minute addition again.

_

I get even better aroma by adding the flameout addition after the wort has cooled to 170-180f, add hops and continue cooling. I make sure they sit in there for at least 20 min, after smelling the aroma you will never do another 5 minute addition again.

_

This is the method I went with on this brew. Rock on!! Will try the pre-boil addition soon to compare and contrast. Thanks, Brew-bro's!

Latest posts

Back