You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at my folks yesterday, borrowing my dad's files so I could take the burrs off the holes I just drilled in my keggle. I had the following conversation with my mom:

Mom: What your doing is legal, right?

Me: Yes thanks to President Carter and Governor Huntsman.

Mom: Not to sound like 'your mother', but you don't drink everything you brew?

Me (pointing at the 15.5 gallon keggle): Ma, I don't drink one of these in a night of that's what you are asking. I brew 8 - 10 gallons every 3 to 4 months. It works out to about a pint every other day.

Aparently that was an acceptable answer because she changed the subject.

You start suffering from the barking spiders with toxic green gas bad breath when you haven't had homebrew instead if when you have.

Anyone try this? Maybe without the dry hop.... only because I will probably forget. I do that a lot now. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/15-minute-cascade-pale-ale-210253/
And back on topic. ... you take the frosties out of the freezer and wash them so the will be clean and ready for a cold brew when you finally get to brew after 6 months away.
While I liked the fact that it was the easiest and fastest recipe I'd ever made, I wasn't too happy with the results. A little too sweet/malty for me and for the amount of cascade in it, it wasn't as hoppy as I generally like.

However, many people have enjoyed this one, so my experience maybe could be just brewer error(s).

While I liked the fact that it was the easiest and fastest recipe I'd ever made, I wasn't too happy with the results. A little too sweet/malty for me and for the amount of cascade in it, it wasn't as hoppy as I generally like.

However, many people have enjoyed this one, so my experience maybe could be just brewer error(s).

Good to know.... I did see a lot of people say that it was lacking in hoppiness or that the aroma dissapated pretty fast I can't remember which, I will have to go read it again.

Good to know.... I did see a lot of people say that it was lacking in hoppiness or that the aroma dissapated pretty fast I can't remember which, I will have to go read it again.

Did a 1 gallon batch earlier this year similar idea:
1.25lbs Light DME
0.50oz Powder Dextrin
0.65oz Cascade 5.5% @ 15min for ~34IBU
0.50oz Cascade 5.5% @ 0min
1/3 pack US-05
Fermented 64F-66F for 4 days active fermentation
Warmed up to 70F for 17 days then bottled
Bottle Conditioned 3 weeks
In fridge for ~5 days then it seemed like the flavor peaked

I did not have any problems with hop's fading. It also did not sit around long with only 8 bottles.

When you're making a bottle of baby formula and you consider the temperature of your strike water vs the temp of your grain bill as it relates to your desired mash temp or in this case milk temp.

I always say to my wife right before, OK, I'm mashing-in.

When ypu have a bar counter instead of a dinner table

1412824786818.jpg

When your hard drive crashes and the biggest thing you are upset about losing is your recipes/notes...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When your hard drive crashes and the biggest thing you are upset about losing is your recipes/notes...

This! :(

I'm putting 'em all in Google Drive ever since – if the NSA wants to steal the spice formula for my winter warmer, more power to 'em. Luckily, my attempt at recreating the one I was saddest to lose is tasting pretty good at least as far as the pre-dryhop hydrometer sample...

When you clean up after bottling an IPA, empty the hop sock into the garbage disposal, turn it on, and keep cleaning up. Then notice 2 minutes later that the hops have somehow migrated through the disposal intact and clogged both sink drains. I had no idea this was even possible. Time to grab a homebrew while the Drano does its thing . . .

When you clean up after bottling an IPA, empty the hop sock into the garbage disposal, turn it on, and keep cleaning up. Then notice 2 minutes later that the hops have somehow migrated through the disposal intact and clogged both sink drains. I had no idea this was even possible. Time to grab a homebrew while the Drano does its thing . . .

did this my very first brew, but also included spent specialty grain

dang near destroyed my dad's garbage disposal

sweating bullets until, luckily, my much smarter, but commie, little brother discovered the RESET switch

not sure if it was this thread and don't remember the exact details, but someone posted about a dream they had where God gave him a recipe that won him Best of Show at NHC, ended world hunger (or brought about world peace, or cured all cancers, or solved the unified field theory, or discovered time travel, or invented a longer-lasting deodorant. or whatever. again, short on the details)

and when he woke up he couldn't remember the recipe

When you're in the middle of writing a book about home brewing & the wife needs to go to the doctor...about a mile from the lhbs! So I split the difference & got her two different size bottle brushes to scrub glasses with & the S-04 yeast for my next brew. Balance, y'all, balance. :mug:

not sure if it was this thread and don't remember the exact details, but someone posted about a dream they had where God gave him a recipe that won him Best of Show at NHC, ended world hunger (or brought about world peace, or cured all cancers, or solved the unified field theory, or discovered time travel, or invented a longer-lasting deodorant. or whatever. again, short on the details)

and when he woke up he couldn't remember the recipe

...this is the tribute beer, to the greatest beer in the world! :rockin:

When you start your day on here, then go write some more of your book on home brewing, then back her to finish the day. With some homebrews of course!...:tank:

It is more important to clean the kegs and other stuff than it is time stop and eat lunch and dinner.

When your 1 year old can identify all the parts of your brewery by name including the refractometer.

Or when your 5 year old (who has previously gotten you in trouble with SWMBO by describing how he is brewing beer on his toy grill...) tells you, while we are spending a quiet Sunday morning together: " Daddy, the bubbles are singing a song, and I like it!" (Referring to the off gassing from the blow off of my cyser...)

Latest posts

Back