Yeast Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenc

Reaction score
I am doing an extract version of Dennys Wry Smile Rye IPA. OG of 1078i am going to make a starter and have a question. What would the pros and cons of making the starter with corn sugar rather than DME?

I think you'd want to use sugars that are similar to those that will be in your eventual wort...otherwise the yeast will adapt to being able to break down simple sugars and then will need to readapt to the complex sugars that are in your wort. Might slow down or stall your fermentation.

I am doing an extract version of Dennys Wry Smile Rye IPA. OG of 1078i am going to make a starter and have a question. What would the pros and cons of making the starter with corn sugar rather than DME?

There are no pros. The big con is that the yeast will have drastically reduced ability to ferment malt sugars. In short, don't do it.

Also DME contains protein, as opposed to just the carbohydrate that dextrose is, which your yeast need to replicate efficiently. More importantly, the yeast will lose the ability to "digest" maltose (wort) after 1-2 generations without some amount of maltose in the starter.

Thanks all. I was just trying to take a short cut. I am using the DME for the afore mentioned reasons. Will ask the Beer gods for forgiveness tonight.i

el_caro said:
Learn their names and they will be much more forgiving - Dionysus and Silenus.

I love your scholarship but I'm not sure that the leader of the Maenads is known for forgiveness! :)

Back