Yeast starter or yeast cake???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphopaim5

Reaction score
I am currently have on an imperial stout in my seconspdary. I used Irish yeast for fermentation. I would like to know if I am doing a sweet stout should i

A:eek:k to pitch on top of the yeast cake from my RIS.

Or

B: pitch a mason jar of washed yeast from 5 days ago (safale 04) directly in the new wort

Or

C: should I just make a starter using the the washed yeast

Any help regarding this will be much appreciated!!!:tank::tank:

Well you should pitch proper amounts of yeast for your batch size and there are a lot of calculators on the internet to help determine the proper pitch rate, BUT...... I have pitched on a full yeast cake before and it came out just fine...... Good luck!

The yeast in your RIS might be a bit beat up, if you have enough of the washed yeast I'd go with them. Can you estimate the yeast count in the rinsed yeast? the should be fine if they where in the fridge for 5 days.

The yeast in your RIS might be a bit beat up, if you have enough of the washed yeast I'd go with them. Can you estimate the yeast count in the rinsed yeast? the should be fine if they where in the fridge for 5 days.

This^^^^^.

Ok!! im going to pitch my washed yeast directly in! thanks for the great advice!

Back