yeast cake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any point in oxygenating a big (1.100+) wort before pouring it on top of an existing yeast cake? I know I've seen advice to do so when using any "wet" yeast (and a yeast cake is certainly "wet"), because yeast needs oxygen in it's growth phase. I'm wondering if the full yeast cake doesn't have more than enough cells, so no budding/reproducing would be occuring anyways, and deliberately adding more oxygen is maybe just going to shorten the life of the new beer...

I've always poured my wort on top of a yeast cake a bit roughly, then transferred again, with lots of splashing, into a fresh/clean fermenter. Ferment goes super fast and finishes right where I want, but I think my imperial stouts aren't as good after 6 months, as they were at 3 months, and I'm wondering if maybe my deliberately rough transfers are hurting my beer.

Is there any point in oxygenating a big (1.100+) wort before pouring it on top of an existing yeast cake? I know I've seen advice to do so when using any "wet" yeast (and a yeast cake is certainly "wet"), because yeast needs oxygen in it's growth phase. I'm wondering if the full yeast cake doesn't have more than enough cells, so no budding/reproducing would be occuring anyways, and deliberately adding more oxygen is maybe just going to shorten the life of the new beer...

I've always poured my wort on top of a yeast cake a bit roughly, then transferred again, with lots of splashing, into a fresh/clean fermenter. Ferment goes super fast and finishes right where I want, but I think my imperial stouts aren't as good after 6 months, as they were at 3 months, and I'm wondering if maybe my deliberately rough transfers are hurting my beer.
I don't think this procedure can "hurt" your beer, since all oxygen introduced in this phase are consumed by the yeast. Anyway beer changes over time, it's just a matter of enjoyment.

I pump my 1.112+ RIS's onto a Notty cake that had a 1.044 or so bitter fermented. I also O2 it for 5 min at 1/8 L/min. The STD23 (stronger then dirt) is a bit thin so might bump up the mash temp from 150 to 154 for 2025, 2024 is in the barrel and we'll know more in Oct.

Back