Yeast starter for OG 1.062-1.066?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerDoc

Reaction score
Here's what I've got. This will be my third time to brew (all have been extract kits from Midwest). I'm going to try this. It will be my first higher gravity beer. I opted for the Wyeast Smack Pack. Midwest's instructions say to just add the Activator pack. However, reading up on brewing like I've done makes it seem like I would need a starter. I've obviously never done a starter. Some have indicated on Midwest's forum that the kit ferments just fine without a starter, some seem to indicate it bogs down and ferments really slowly this way. MrMalty shows I'd need anywhere from 1 to almost 3L, depending on how I make the stater. I don't have anything special to make a starter (like a stir plate or flasks).
I did a search here for "yeast starter" and, like everything related to brewing, it seems like everyone has different ways of doing things.
Do I indeed need a starter? What's the best (and easiest) thing for someone with no starter experience to do?
Thanks.

You may not "need" to make a starter, but it would be a good idea. Try checking HowtoBrew.com on the chapter about making a starter. You will need a glass jug or a glass jar in order to do it.

Back