Yeast starter for 10 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandena

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question...

I'll be brewing a 10 gallon batch this weekend, SNPA clone 1..046 OG. MrMalty says I need 323 billion yeast cells, and all I have is one 11g packet of Safale 04.

Is it possible to make a starter for this? I have a new stir plate and all the ingredients for a starter. I'm still not clear on if a starter for a dry yeast is a good idea, or if I should pitch 1.5 packets.

If it matters, I'll be pitching this into one fermenter.

Thanks

Typically, starters for dry yeast is not ideal. Dry yeast, when introduced into liquid, will absorb it via osmosis. This is why Safale and others recommend pure water to kick it off - wort contains nasties that the yeast will normally ignore, but can't in a dehydrated state. Whether or not non-hopped starter would be the same, I don't know.

That being said, if I were you, I'd re-hydrate the yeast in 1/2 cup of sanitized water, and pitch that into a starter. Alternately, buy another pack of S-04. At my LHBS, they're $3 each. You do have a stirplate, though, which significantly lowers the amount of DME needed for a starter.

Typically, starters for dry yeast is not ideal. Dry yeast, when introduced into liquid, will absorb it via osmosis. This is why Safale and others recommend pure water to kick it off - wort contains nasties that the yeast will normally ignore, but can't in a dehydrated state. Whether or not non-hopped starter would be the same, I don't know.

That being said, if I were you, I'd re-hydrate the yeast in 1/2 cup of sanitized water, and pitch that into a starter. Alternately, buy another pack of S-04. At my LHBS, they're $3 each. You do have a stirplate, though, which significantly lowers the amount of DME needed for a starter.

Yeah, I guess I can run back to the LHBS tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice.

I don't see why a starter wouldn't work. Just make sure you hydrate the yeast before you add to the starter.

then make starter, rehydratate yeast, pitch in 1.5l starter and let it go for 12-24h and you are ready to pich

If your extraction was good and fermentation temp is ideal you will be good to go. May take a little longer to get going but should work.

Latest posts

Back