Yeast pitched directly to Star San residue... bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryaneirich

Reaction score
In the effort of maximizing both aeration, and the mixing of the yeast with the wort, I've recently been dumping my yeast in my carboy before adding the wort. So naturally, the yeast is being exposed to a higher concentration of Star San. Is this bad for the yeast (vs. pitching the yeast after the wort)?

I don't "trust the foam" as much as some do, but a little bit doesn't bother me either. After dumping my Star San out of my carboy, I always rinse it with about a gallon of distilled water (typically about a 1/3 gallon, shake, dump, repeat til the gallon's gone). So my yeast is being exposed to whatever residue is left over after that, and probably spends under a minute with it by the time I start dumping my wort.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Do you say it defeats the purpose only because I'm rinsing a no-rinse solution?

As far as I've ever heard, rinsing away Star San doesn't have anything to do with its effectiveness, as long as it had enough contact time, and as long as you are rinsing with sanitary water (RO or distilled). Correct?

Everything I read mentions Star San residue not being harmful to a wort+yeast mixture. I just want to know if the residue is harmful to yeast only (with no wort present). Is this the case?

Thanks,

Ryan

As far as I've ever heard, rinsing away Star San doesn't have anything to do with its effectiveness, as long as it had enough contact time, and as long as you are rinsing with sanitary water (RO or distilled). Correct?

Everything I read mentions Star San residue not being harmful to a wort+yeast mixture. I just want to know if the residue is harmful to yeast only (with no wort present). Is this the case?

Thanks,

Ryan

no, it isn't harmful.

Thanks,

Ryan

The reason you don't want to rinse is the possibility of bacteria in the water. Yes, even if it is distilled. Who is to say bacteria won't come in contact with it during packaging. There is a thread in here I read of a guy that accidentally rehydrated dry yeast with starsan. It's not going to hurt the yeast.

Back