Yeast not sinking on high gravity IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdizzle

brewing' in the free world.
Reaction score
This is my first post, curious on your feedback.
Deets:
AG - 5gal - Batch Sparge - Bucket

For this Imperial IPA, I reused the yeast American Ale II 1272, made a nice starter.
OG = 1.086

Fermentation seemed slow, but I guess I expected it to go crazy, but just some bubbles for 2 days, then pretty slow.

I opened it up 2 weeks later to dry hop, and to my surprise, the yeast had not dropped, there was a thick (1/2inch) layer on top, I moved some of it around to get my hydrometer in. Gravity was now 1.014. I project it to be even lower maybe 1.013. So I didnt dry hop yet, closed it up and will check it in a week.

Any ideas on why the Yeast has not sunk yet? Is it because of high alcohol?

It's probably hops...usually a lot of small hop particles make it into the fermenter and may take 14-28 days to fully settle and clear up.

Nothing wrong with a big krausen, I would leave it until it does its thing. Rushing the process is probably the worst thing you could do. It probably is indeed because of the higher sugar content, and the yeast are just going at it slow and steady.

Thanks for replies. I don't think it is hops, however I do prolly agree that it is just slow because high sugar content. As it sits, I think I am around 9.4% ABV.
Let's give it another week, then dry hop it. Glad to hear some other people have slow results with the American Ale II strain.
Thanks for all advice.:fro:

Well just checked on it again, yeast is still solid ontop, completely covers the top. Checked Gravity, which now is at 1.012. So do I have to wait for it to fall out before I dry hop? Or can I just dry hop right ontop of this yeast island?

That's what 1272 does for me too. Super thick gooey krausen that sticks around for a while. I think it will drop on its own eventually, but I usually crash cool it and it drops right out.

Tasty McDole recommends dry hopping toward the end of primary, while the yeast is still going, but slowing down. You would have been A-OK to add your hops then, and the continuing fermentation would scrub away any oxygen you imparted with the hop addition.

Latest posts

Back