Yeast for highest and lowest krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddybrew

Reaction score
I use 5 gallon carboys filled to the "shoulder". I've had Nottingham, US-05 and Munton's Standard yeast make a helluva mess even with a blow off tube and a temperature controlled fermentation fridge at 60f. I've had better luck with Safbrew S-33 and Munton's Gold yeast staying in the carboy.

Any yeasts you would risk skipping the blow off tube when filled to the shoulder?
Which yeasts need the most head space?

For me it has always depended on gravity, temp and the number of times the yeast has been reused. If any of these factors are high then I'll use the blow off.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch. I've only used about a dozen different yeasts, and this is easily the frothiest.

I don't use blow-off tubes though. I just ferment in a large vessel, and then rack into a smaller one once the activity falls off.

If I'm using liquid yeast, then 90% of the time I'm using White Labs over Wyeast. Nothing against it, White Labs is just kinda my go-to for liquid. Cali-ale and cream-ale strains have always given me a very thin krausen ring. My latest blowoffs were with Notty, and Irish ale, but usually only with high gravity beers, so take that into consideration.

FYI my 9 gallon Spiedel just barfed up some yeast. It was exactly halfway full with wort. I pitched 3787 a d 48 hours later it's spewing out the top. That yeast never ceases to amaze me. Didn't even need to clean the airlock tho, the Spiedel chocked it all down with only a little mess and no clogging

If I'm using liquid yeast, then 90% of the time I'm using White Labs over Wyeast. Nothing against it, White Labs is just kinda my go-to for liquid. Cali-ale and cream-ale strains have always given me a very thin krausen ring. My latest blowoffs were with Notty, and Irish ale, but usually only with high gravity beers, so take that into consideration.

I've recently found a deal on just out of date White Lab strains (007, 011, 004, 080 and 090). I just used the 007 and it's bubbling every second at 18 hours. I've only had blow off with us-04 in a 6 gallon batch fermenting in. 6.5 gal vessel.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back