Wyeast 3763: Roeselare, using old packs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic218

Reaction score
I'm making a Belgian sour and I'm to the point to where I need to pitch my souring bugs.
For this I'm using Wyeast 3763: Roeselare.
The homebrew store only had two left and both were mfg Feb 24, 2014.
They gave me both packs for the price of one and said I should pitch both at the same time due to them almost being out of that six month window.
They said they weren't worried about the bugs in there but the yeast, being as old as it is, may have issues and not be as active.
This is a very long duration fermentation and an expensive beer to boot. I'm already about 7 1/2 weeks and ~80.00 in before today. The last thing I want to do is butcher it with bad product.
Is there anything I should be worried about with A) pitching such an old yeast or B) pitching that many bugs at once?
If the yeast is fine does that mean the bugs just won't take as long to sour since I'd be double pitching?

I used one about that old once. I think the sach strain tends to die off first but the brett and bugs should be fine. Mine soured up just fine.

I would just pitch the one. Especially if this is secondary. Far too many times people don't consider just how hardy these microbes are. I'm talking more of Belgian strains. I buy old yeast from my LHBS all the time even some from 4/13 fired up in a starter and was amazing. That was brett but still. Roeselare will be fine because like stated above you aren't looking for the Sacc to do much here. Just the Brett/Lacto/Pedio.

I don't know how much time it will take for the sour to come into play. Depends on how much is left for them to eat. Pedio will take a while to sour, Brett will then need to clean up the Pedio. Lacto will be the first to sour but you will still need a year for Pedio to work and be cleaned up.

Back