Wyeast 1272 peaked at 24hrs, is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj218

Reaction score
Pitched a 1.5L starter of Wyeast 1272 into my Fat Tire clone and had bubbling in the blow-off tube in 5 hours. 24 hours in it was going like gang busters, with the sanitizer that the blow-off tube is in had bubbled over on to the floor. There is no krausen in the tube or sanitizer.

Woke up this morning (36hours after pitching) and bubbling activity has drastically slowed (comprable to a day 6-7 with US-05). Now I am not worried, yet, but as this is my first experience with 1272 I am trying to find out if this is normal. Or should I try to rouse the yeast? Should I lose the blow-off tube and just put on an airlock and forget about it for a few days?

Ambient air temp has been a steady 63 and I have a bucket fermenter so unless I pop the lid I can't see what's going on inside.

Thanks for an experiences/advice with 1272.

Sure, it's totally possible! Many strains of yeast will take off like a rocket only to slow waaay down after a day or two but it really doesn't mean anything this early as the yeast will still be working.

Give it at least 10 days and then take a reading to see where it's at and go from there. IMO, at this point there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Have you taken a hydrometer reading?

Only an initial reading (1.053), I hate popping the lid unless I absolutely have to as I am paranoid about risking an infection. If it stops all activity I wouldn't hesitate to do a reading though.

What temperature did you pitch at? Did you chill and decant your starter or did you pitch while it was active?

Sure, it's totally possible! Many strains of yeast will take off like a rocket only to slow waaay down after a day or two but it really doesn't mean anything this early as the yeast will still be working.

Give it at least 10 days and then take a reading to see where it's at and go from there. IMO, at this point there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks for the reply!

I've never worked with a yeast that slows down like that, most yeasts I work with I am dealing with blow-off and krausen clogging the tube, so this one threw me a curveball.

What temperature did you pitch at? Did you chill and decant your starter or did you pitch while it was active?

Pitched at 67, I did not decant the starter, it was still active but it was no longer at high krausen (the starter was 36hours old).

Thanks for the reply.

I've used this yeast a few times, and I find that it tears through the fermentation (and attenuates a lot further than the manufacturer states, btw). You pitched a large starter at an optimal temp. I'd assume it's done. As a previous poster suggested, let it ride for a while, then take a hydrometer reading. I used to share your phobia, too, but you really don't need to be so concerned about infecting the beer just by opening the lid. In fact, that's one reason to start doing so. You'll get used to the idea, so that you can take a reading when you really need to for some reason, and you won't stress out about it. I've just gone back to buckets recently, and I find there's one great advantage to them--you can just sanitize the hydrometer and drop it right into the bucket. Voila! There's your reading. Don't drop it too hard, though, or you might end up fishing it out. I had a hydrometer almost get stuck in the goop at the bottom of the bucket the other day.... It surfaced after 6 or 7 seconds, and I had a good (nervous) chuckle about it.

I've used this yeast a few times, and I find that it tears through the fermentation (and attenuates a lot further than the manufacturer states, btw). You pitched a large starter at an optimal temp. I'd assume it's done. As a previous poster suggested, let it ride for a while, then take a hydrometer reading. I used to share your phobia, too, but you really don't need to be so concerned about infecting the beer just by opening the lid. In fact, that's one reason to start doing so. You'll get used to the idea, so that you can take a reading when you really need to for some reason, and you won't stress out about it. I've just gone back to buckets recently, and I find there's one great advantage to them--you can just sanitize the hydrometer and drop it right into the bucket. Voila! There's your reading. Don't drop it too hard, though, or you might end up fishing it out. I had a hydrometer almost get stuck in the goop at the bottom of the bucket the other day.... It surfaced after 6 or 7 seconds, and I had a good (nervous) chuckle about it.

Thanks for the reply. I am getting a little airlock activity every 10-15 seconds...but it feels like I am a few days ahead (usually have that type of activity on day 6-7 not on day 4.). But maybe it just chewed through it all quicker.

What attenuation % were you getting with this yeast?

Latest posts

Back