Wrong grains in grain bags from lhbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
I was in a hurry ordering online from the lhbs and accidentally placed some grains into the wrong grain bag. I ordered grains for two completely different styles of beer and cant take out the grains because its all together in one bag.

So what i want to do is make beer, frankienbeer, but i have no idea where to start. I can add grains and i have some spare hops in the fridge also bit not much. I dont mind getting some extra hops also. Im open to all ideas so dont hold back. I want to have some fun with this mistake.

Heres the grain bills (p.s. 2.5 gal batches)

The first was a ordinary bitter this one got extra grains from bag B. The second is the Oktoberfast thats missing some grain.

Bag A
2.5lb Maris Otter
.5lb Victory Malt
.25lb Chocolate Malt
.25lb Crystal 60

Extra
1lb Vienna Malt
.25lb cara-pils

Bag B
2lb Pilsner
1.25lb Munich Dark
.5lb Aromatic
.5lb Crystal 40

Also for got to add .25lb of crystal 10 to this, I've must have been drunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bag A could be a brown ale. Bag B could be turned into all kinds of things - maybe a light Enkel (Belgian Single).

Plug them into a recipe calculator and check the color and gravities.

Agreed, just eyeballing it A looks like a brown. I think it was already looking more like a mild to me than an ordinary bitter with the 7% chocolate before the mistake. You should be able to go with the same yeast and bring the hops up to go with the increased gravity.

Assuming you don't want to go back for the grains you're missing with B I think you could still make this as an O-fest, maybe drop the batch size a bit if the gravity is going to go too low.

what would the hop schedule look like. The original recipe has .6oz at 60 minutes. Ive never created my own recipe before.

what would the hop schedule look like. The original recipe has .6oz at 60 minutes. Ive never created my own recipe before.

What hops do you have? Assuming it's something like fuggles or EKG at around 5% aa you could probably get away with that same addition for the brown. I'm getting 1.052 and 25 IBU's for that at 75% efficiency. Then maybe a small addition of the same hop around 10 min or so if you have some more. What yeast is it?

I was planning to use s-04 but have notty also. The Belgium sounds interesting never heard of it before. Time to do some research!!

I have an half ounce of cascade and a quarter ounce of centennial on hand. Dont mind getting more hops for this beer though.

I have an half ounce of cascade and a quarter ounce of centennial on hand. Dont mind getting more hops for this beer though.

Bag B's hops.. imo. New 1oz ekg or other english hop for bag A, both for just bittering. Split the extra grains between brews. Nott or S04 for both, I just love a good housecleaning..

I think im going to go ahead and make bag A as an brown ale. I was thinking of making it as an american brown cause of the hops that i have on had. Ill have to get some more hops for my 60 minute addition and use the cascade and centennial late in the boil. Im going to plug it into a calculator and mess around with the recipe a bit tomorrow morning and post it up. Let me know what you guys think.

Bag B i decided to keep the recipe the same and just purchase the missing grains. I brewed the right recipe a fee days ago and it tastes amazing.

Back